DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's my first time posting but here it goes.....

I drive a 1998 Extended Cab 5.2 liter, and yesterday, out of nowhere, my truck started making a really loud hissing noise that sounds like it's coming from the right side of the truck, kinda where I have my exhaust pipe cut (it stops 6 in. after the cab does). Not to mention it became really sluggish taking off from stoplights. And this morning it had a severe loss of power when i started it up. It took me about 5 minutes to work my way up to 60 on the highway.

So what do you guys think? Plugged CAT? Bad O2 Sensor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i would say your on the right track for the plugged cat.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ya your cat is a very good possibility from what you described. You can either dissconect at the y pipe or take out the front O2 sensor and see if it makes a difference. If you dont have any emission testing where you live you could just get rid of your cat and put an o2 simulator in to stop the check engine light from coming on.

·
46re(tarded)
352 Posts
The hissing part confuses me though, I've never heard a cat do that.
When you have chunks break off and they block your exhaust system, it hisses from the exhaust pressure trying to push past it. I'd say it's the cat.

·
46re(tarded)
352 Posts
Agreed :D

Mine is 1/2 way there, when i get a real exhaust setup i'll punch out the other half of it.

·
Mopar or No Car!
218 Posts
When you have chunks break off and they block your exhaust system, it hisses from the exhaust pressure trying to push past it. I'd say it's the cat.
Yup just had mine replaced (98 QC 5.2) 90K on the truck just a garden variety cat but the truck never ran so good!!!! I think the cat was on its way out when I got the truck. And I dunno about hissing but it made a weird exhaust noise and did the same as yours it took forever to get to 60.

·
Driven to perfection
862 Posts
Sounds like your cat. When ming pluged up I was running 70mph and the truck just lost all power and I coasted onto the shoulder and called a wrecker..What a way to start off a day driving to work!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can i get a little help in "how to gut the cat"? does it involve cutting off gutting then welding back on?

·
Registered
16 Posts
dude this same thing just happend to my truck but it built up to it and yesturday i couldnt get above 45 in a mile on the highway for a quick and tempory i drilled two holes in the bottom towards the front and in in the middle with a unibit/stepbit and gained all power back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.