DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Better read your owners manual it has a section on snow plowing. Big warning about your airbag crash sensors, also says 1500 models are NOT available for snow plow applications. So if you wanted to plow maybe a 2500 would have been a better choice.
Get an old truck to plow with and keep that 08 looking good, plowing beats the heck out of a truck.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Yup,:thatfunnywht he said. Not available on 1500 (snow plow prep pkg.) so it will void warrenty. I see LOTS of 1500 Dodges,1/2 ton Chevys and F150 Fords w/plows, but I would never do it.

·
CH³NO²
340 Posts
Yup,:thatfunnywht he said. Not available on 1500 (snow plow prep pkg.) so it will void warrenty. I see LOTS of 1500 Dodges,1/2 ton Chevys and F150 Fords w/plows, but I would never do it.
Ditto, no IFS can handle what a plow puts on it. Your warranty regarding any front end, drivetrain and transmission problems would be null and void...

·
14 Express
261 Posts
I saw an 07 Ram 1500 with a 7 1/2 foot fisher mounted on it the last snow storm we had. The front end of the truck was totally maxed out. The truck had a very dangerous case of negative camber, and it looked liked it had been through a war. Plowing snow on a regular basis is best left for the HD's. Solid front axle is the only way to go.

·
You've been Hijacked
14,746 Posts
I wouldn't only worry about nulling your warranty. You will wear you front end out with a plow on it.

·
Once and future owner
3,061 Posts
Ditto on what everyone else is saying. I plow snow for the school district I work for every winter and I wouldn't even think about putting a plow on a 1/2-ton truck especially one with IFS. You're begging for something to break. You will need a 3/4-ton or bigger with a solid front axle and 4x4. You want a spreader on the back then you might want to consider a truck with DRW because you can haul more and the truck will be more stable carrying that much weight as well. I use an F250 Superduty 4x4 w/SRW but I can only put a couple of scoops worth of sand in the spreader due to the tires. The truck also has the 7.3 turbo diesel which helps with weight distribution while completely loaded and being able to push almost anything out of the way. Good luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i dont know how any body is even getting a plow for a half ton no one in my area will even sell me one let alone install it. that said i can get one for my jeep..... shorter wheel base taller suspension less motor hmmmm. i used to plow with a 1 ton 2wd chevy work truck it had a : western 9ft blade and a western steel box salt spreader that we constantly overloaded with salt. i used and abused the heck out of that truck, infact i blew the left head completely off the motor. poor Duramax shoulda had a CUMMINS anyway i did the job when it had a motor.... if i had to do it with anything smaller i would have thrown the boss the key and said forget it. 1-4 inches of snow wet or power sure you can do it anything more and well double your time fuel and wear and tear on your trans. they just cant do it you need the added weight like a salt box to push that snow.

·
Registered
91 Posts
chevy states, you can plow with their 1500, it has to be RC long bed, with the snow plow prep package, you can not plow with a ext cab or crew. I think the same goes for F150 too, ( up to 08 anyways). My dad was just through this, as he only plows his own driveway and puts the plow on and off in a snow storm, and doesn't drive around with it. That said his current plow truck is a 03 Ram 1500 ST, with a Boss 7' plow, rc/lb, 4.7. It works great, but he only plows his driveway. He is looking for new trucks now, he loves ram's, but they have all told him 2500 or higher. Like said before, the problem is back in the day when 1500's were solid axles, everyone plowed with them, now that they have more care like handling, they give up the ability. This is why wrangler plow cause of the solid axle, they just have to worry if they have the D35 in the back, the new JK's are all D44 (except very early ones).

·
Registered
826 Posts
NEVER EVER plow with anything less than a 2500. Plowing really tears up a truck, I plow with an F-350. You will ruin your warranty and your new truck. Go getcha yerself a ctd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.