DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate help locating the plenum gasket to see if there is oil leaking there, where is it and what do I look for? Worried about and relating to the Death Flash a lot has been said about the plenum gasket so I want to check and see if something is wrong.

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
its located under the intake manifold which is under the tb and under the intake. hows that, to check to see if its blown out take off the tb and use a mirror and a light to look towards the rear of it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Joe SS/T ScojoDak thank you both for the guidance and each of your trucks look fantastic.

·
Registered
590 Posts
ya, the plenum gasket is tha bottom gasket of your intake manifold. best thing to do is to get a MOPAR M-1 intake. no *belly pan* gasket = no probs.

another choice is the APS belly pan kit.

as for the *Death Flash* all that does is pull timing thus reducing HP though it is supposed to stop the dreaded ping. best bet is to not let the stealership touch your ECM.... ever. send it to B&G Chrysler instead and get a custom ECM flash. one of the best $400 or so bux you will ever spend on your truck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
razman131, Thank you and I am going to do the MOPAR-M-1 intake. What does the computer look like, I'm not sure where it is or what it looks like. Definitely, would have it reworked if need be but cannot seem to put my finger on it.

·
Dakota for life!
823 Posts
Ying, thanks for the compliment on the truck. The computer can be found in the right fender well above the tire. You'll see three distinctive plugs going to it. Size wise, it's a tad smaller that a small laptop. Attached is a pic of one from KRC.

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
When my plenum gasket went bad, if i took off just the air cleaner box, reached down and opened the t.b., I could see oily residue. That's how I knew it was time.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
razman131[B said:
]...best thing to do is to get a MOPAR M-1 intake. no *belly pan* gasket = no probs...[/B]
QUOTE]

I don't agree that the best fix for the plenum gasket failure is an M-1 intake.
That would kill whatever low end he has now, specially on a stock motor.
I would say modify the stock kegger (or leave it) and install a Huges Plenum pan.

yingchu777 : the plenum gasket isn't something that is guaranteed to fail. My truck still has the OEM belly pan gasket at 109,000 miles.
I would say look down in the TB, but if it's running fine, no oil loss / smoking, no ping, leave it alone.

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
hey chizz, that low end loss thing with the M-1 is a myth. If anything, put a large turtle in it, but I have more of everything with the M-1. It never had torque or throttle response like it had, after the M-1 went on. dollar for dollar, one of the best mods you can do to a 5.9 or 5.2

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I observed a video of a person's truck with an M-1, high flow exhaust, and a K&N FIPK and he could barely spin the tires.
I know that spinning the tires is not a measure of performance, but he stated that he lost a good bit of low end with the M-1.
Many other people have stated similar findings when installing an M-1 on a lightly modded or stock motor.
By design, it's performance range is between 2500 to 5000. Higher flow rates at higher rpms.
Even with the install of a 52mm throttle body my power band changed. I didn't lose any low end, but my power comes on the strongest from 2300 to 5200.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.