DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if this picture is good enough to tell if my pleneum is bad? I don't really not any power loss. I have had the truck for 12,000 miles and have never had to add any oil until now. I am about ready to change the oil, but a few hundred miles ago i added a little to top it off, it was still by far in the safe range, but lower than it has ever gotten between changes. From what i could tell by looking into the throttle body, there was no standing oil, just oily deposits on the bottom. I had the air intake off of my parents ram and the bottom was pretty shinny, is that the way mine should be?

Thanks for any help you could give me!

Attachments

·
Pudge
297 Posts
wish i could help, but i cant because i think i have the same problem, my motor was using oil like a bitch at 120,000 km and now it got rebuilt and its at 156,000km and it used a bit of oil lately, it aint smoking it out, havent checked my throttle body yet but im gonna tommorow, just wondering where that plenium gasket is?? and if so how much?

Anyone??

·
Registered
191 Posts
looks normal to me, our engine recycles crankcase gases and shows up inside our intakes like a brown glazed burn't donut.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
im 99.9% sure that looks normal but if im wrong please someone step in and say so

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey I just read on another thread from a dodge mechanic. Dealer charges $130, cost you less than $10 bucks! Pour in fuel injector cleaner in your gas. He recommends preston. He said to clean your intake buy 3 cans of intake cleaner thats sensor safe. Spray into your throttle body why your engine is running, spray 1 1/2 cans. you'll need somebody to keep in running because its going to try to stall. Reinstall your air cleaner assmbly. Unhook vacume line from the brake booster. Repeat spraying 1 1/2 cans into vacume hose. keep engine running (DON'T RED LINE ENGINE!!!!!!!). Your engine will puke out a black smokey cloud. Thats good, you've just cleaned out all that carbon from your intake, valves and cumbustion chamber. If your check engine light comes on pull positive battery cable for 10min. This will remove CE light.

·
98 SS/T
318 Posts
can you just use some TB cleaner on there to clean that oily deposite ?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Mine actually looked like that and I was told that it did need to be replaced. It's a job and a half but it'll cost you a lot to take it in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
standard tb cleaner is ok. I just performand this on my 97 ram 4x4 5.2L. Engine is more responsive now, seams to have worked. I had a problem before were my truck would just stall out. Had no codes, no check engine light. cleaned TB truck idles fine now. Wish I would have done this cleaning earlyer.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok...THANKS EVERYONE! I'm glad to here that most of ya think its normal, because i hated to have to do anything right now. I will try what ACRDAVE said for good precaution.

ACRDAVE.....When you say the vaccuum line from the brake booster, I'm sure you're talking about the hose that attaches to the intake from brake booster? And it's alright to spray cleaner directly into the TB without the filter as long as it isn't dusty while doing it??

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
use seafoam
its the shit

1/3 of a can in the oil , gas , and then take that tube off and let it suck through your intake but go reall slow because its gonna want to bog down and stall. then let it sit for 20 or so mins, fire it back up til it stops smoking and then change your oil and your good to go.

·
98 SS/T
318 Posts
never heard of doing it that way, like i mentioned above all i did was spray the hell out of it and the Tb using some TB cleaner and they both looked like new afterward.

·
Registered
518 Posts
seafoam......

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Big Joe SS/T....can I get seafoam @ napa or autozone? ...and when u said "take that tube off",...did u mean the air intake tube or the brake booster tube that hooks 2 the intake?

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
no, I'd flag that one as a bad one from the pic. Time for an M-1 and solve the problem forever.

·
Registered
191 Posts
yes spray directly into the hose that goes from the booster to the intake. use the whole can. When I was at the part store the manager told me to try SEAFOAM, he
showed me the can and it has this type of cleaning on the directions. I used the TB cleaner, next time I'm going to use the seafoam.

·
That's why I like Dodges!
165 Posts
I also think that your plenum is bad. You probably just have a small leak but a leak none the less. Your burning oil, you can see oilly deposits on top of the plenum plate...blown gasket. It isn't that bad of a job and if you upgrade and get a hughes plenum plate or the M1 you won't have to worry about it again. I did the Hughes Plate and I love it. It ran me around $180.00 and I did it myself. I am not a mechanic by any means, but I am mechanically inclined. If you can hold a wrench and keep things clean, you can replace your own plenum gasket. Let us know what you do and how things work out. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
your plenum IS blown. either that or oil is leaking past the seal. you shouldnt have any of that kind of crud on the pan. a slight coating is fine, it's the mist from the pcv valve. that much gunk is definitely a sign of a blown gasket. get a kit from hughes. if you don't, then you will be doing it again (i had to do mine twice before i just got the hughes and no problems since).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got done replacing my plenum gasket. it was fun! took me about 13 hours (minus a few for breaks/and going to autozone for more parts) ... i replaced all my hoses, water pump hoses, thermostat, heater hose, injectors, changed my oil, u name it.

Its really not that hard. Go buy the Manual and ur all set. its only like 13 steps. Also, when you get it all apart, clean it reallllllly good. My sh!t is nice and silvery looking. I used 4 cans of Intake cleaner, 5 cans of TB cleaner, 1 can of electronic plug cleaner.

U can do it man! this was my first EVER motor project. I am a computer nerd and have 0 mechanical skills when it comes to my vehicle. This looked interesting and it helped me out a lot in learning the terms of my engine, and exactly how it works.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I've got Seafoam and am going to try that tomorrow before I change the oil. I'll see if that cleans it up and then i'll keep an eye on the oil level. If things seem suspicious after that, then the Hughes kit might have to go in.

What other symptoms are present with a bad pleneum? I know oil consumption, dirty intake, and pinging @ high RPMS, which i do have just a little bit of @ times.

·
Registered
607 Posts
So many opinions. The oil deposit you see there is normal, if the gasket has failed a little, maybe displaced between just two screws, there'll be a pool of oil at the back of the pan, but you won't be able to see it unless you have an inspection mirror, borescope or just take the TB off (5 mins) and look towards the rear of the manifold. You'll only see a gross leak by oil directly underneath the TB. You've got all the symptoms listed. There's a vacuum test for the failed gasket, but with an engine with a few miles, developing a fair amount of blowby, it doesn't detect a small leak.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.