DodgeTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
to many heavy travel trailers are pulled without equalizer hitches. and too many eualizer hitches are installed and adjusted incorrectly.
some people do not know how to install or adjust trailer brake controllers. or think because they have a seven pin receptacle they have trailer brakes.
experienced 18 wheeler drivers loose there rigs quite regularly, it happens just too fast.

to trust any salesperson no matter what the product is to be the fool.

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
Well, I ending up borrowing a friends 07 2500 heavyduty Chevy with a 6.0 in it to haul my camper. The Rumble Bee is too short. I installed air bags on it and have all the nessasary hitch and controllers and its too ass squirly to drive at 45 mph it feels like you dont have any control of it. I hooked the Chevy up last night and its like its not even there. Well I guess I have to make a decision when we get home from camping....either i have to look for a smaller camper or sell my 2000 Ram 318 which is a powerless piece of crap and find a older 2500 dodge with a cummins in it.:( Im not a Chevy person at all and I have 3 Rams and cant use one of them for work.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
also in the email the guy said that it was a 5th wheel camper being pulled and we all know a 5th wheel does not get pulled by a suv

My first thought was the idiot did not see it happen, just trying to get on TV

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
I was on the fence as to wether or not the Bee would be able to handle the camper you got. Sorry it did not work out for you.
Thanks Jeff, Im really not happy about the whole deal. We had a 04 24' Layton lite 2 years ago and sold it because we dont camp enough to have a payment. I sure miss it now.

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
I personally would get rid of the camper and trade it in for a different one. At least if it is not going to cost you money to trade.
I already tried. They want to make me take a $3500.00 hit trading it on a $7995.00 camper:VHOT:. I'll sell it in my yard at home.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a pop up trailer that I now tow with the Hemi and it does great. The first time I tried towing it though was with my dad's '00 V6 ram and man did I get scared. That trailer wanted to walk all over the road. I was swinging back and forth across two lanes of traffic. My first instinct was to put on the brakes... bad idea. I noticed that was a bad idea immediately so I gave it some gas... another bad idea. I ended up just letting it ride itself out and slow down on it's own. After that experiance I took it in and had a sway kit installed! The trailer comes in at about 4000lbs and before the sway kit you couldn't go over 60mph. Now it pulls fine at 75!

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
We have a 2008 trail sport 27 ft it has a dry weight of 3700 lbs the rv dealer was great after i told him what i was using to tow with he told us what we could tow and could not tow at least they were honest

loco

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
Yea...sell it privately....but with the price of gas....it's going to be hard finding someone looking for a camper. Sorry man!
The Chevy did a super job towing the camper, The transmission is awsome in those trucks. I still wouldnt own one though. Anyway i had a friend call me today about the camper and he brought his wife down to look at it and they bought it. I got my money back. So i got that monkey off my back.:D

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
ours sways when a semi doing around 90 (well it feels like it) besides that it tows very easy

loco

know if i can learn to back up better lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
those equalizer hitches and sway bars make a world of difference, a good investment

·
COUNTRYBOY1
630 Posts
i have a 2007 ram 1500 wit hami and tow pac eny way i have a 20x7 dump trailer and the other day i went to pick up 5 ton of stone pulled good 70mph on hwy if i had a 4.7 it wouldint make it home it worked the hemi out never have done that wit a chevy are a ford:rck:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree totally with PWDurango. The danger is improper setup, hitch to high or low, no anti sway device, etc. Many factors in addition to the experience of the driver. I routinely tow loads approaching the maximum Combined gross for my trucks. Every time I hook up I check hitch height, truck level, trailer brakes, lights, truck and trailer tire pressure and condition. I check trailer breaking action before I get out of my neighborhood to ensure it is adjusted correctly for the load I am towing. With our roads in AK, trailer sway can easily be induced by the ruts in the asphalt. I disagree with holding the throttle steady and applying the trailer brakes, I accelerate slightly to put pressure on the tow bar while applying the brakes to get it under control as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
moe in wichita ks
iam not suprised that my friends at this site have such good advice. i just wish i was half as smart as you kids. i read a story some time back that was kind of like this story. a older man had a minvan with a small trayler he swerved to miss something got hit by a semi killed his wife. hi po weighted the trayler, the officer told the minvan driver that if the trayler was over wieght he would have to arrest him. how bad it would be to go to trail for killing your wife

·
Registered
367 Posts
There are so many factors involved in proper towing setup, that it can be difficult to name them all. I've been towing different travel trailers since I was 16 years old. I'm 51 now. One thing that I've learned is that towing stability is no accident and that all of the add ons, like sway control, equalizer hitches, etc., are no replacement for a proper towing setup. One factor in the original story, which I don't think has been mentioned, is the Durango's wheelbase. As a general rule with travel trailers, the longer the trailer, the longer the wheelbase needed to tow it safely. Also, tires are a consideration. For proper towing setup, one should really have a tire with a fairly stiff sidewall. Tires with soft sidewalls can set up an oscillation that can lead to sway. Tongue weight, proper tire inflation, hitch height, excessive speed, sudden maneuvers, etc., can all contribute to a nasty incident. It sounds to me like the Durango was not properly matched to the trailer being towed. However, even a properly matched truck/trailer combo can be very unsafe.

Someone stated earlier that it is the driver's responsibility to know what his weight limits are and to set up the tow vehicle properly. I whole heartedly agree with this. You can't be 'too' safe. A mistake that people often make, is that they read a towing guide or their truck manual and find that their truck is supposed to be able to tow 7500 pounds. Then they go out looking for a trailer that weighs (according to the manufacturers specs) 7500 pounds, expecting that they will be within their limits. When all of the proper math is done, they are probably at least 1500 pounds over their weight limit. The real world 'Gross Combined Weight' needs to be determined and respected.

I guess my point is, do not rely on sway controls, in their various forms, to 'fix' a sway problem. Determine what is causing the problem and fix that FIRST and then add the sway controls.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
moe in wichita ks
rpounds: is what i was saying about this site having some very smart guys that we/i can learn from. you cats are the greatest.

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
Holy crap..that is sad. I was born in Hamilton, Ontario, where this family was from... :(

Sorry to bring this back up, this post is kinda old..just noticed that now...still sad though.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts