DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
you really don't want to manually change the idle via the set screw. The reason it is capped is becuase of the computer makes the adjustments needed. When it is dieing, if you put the trans in neutral does it stay running, or does it continue to die?
his PCM is not actuating the IAC to maintain engine speed.
This would be a temp fix so he could keep driving it until he can get the parts replaced.

I ran mine with no IAC for about 8 months, and used the set screw to adjust idle. it will not damage his vehicle in any way.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
failing fuel pump? is my guess. mine would take longer to start then give slightly less power. i new it was going and asked a garage prior to failure who just shruged me off. it gave up after a few months of limping around right in mid town during rush hour, i had to push the truck myself into the closest parking lot that just happen to be a police station. needless to say i wount be going to that garage any more. every pump failure symptom is unique. i read in popular mechs that higher end cars and dealers are now testing for methinol levels which disolve internal plastic parts if the ratios are to high 10%. some tanks were caught w/ 90% accidently w/ all kinds of damage. the tanker just filled the wrong under ground, "oops". this causes more problems that oil co are willing to admit. someone soon better pin them down!

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
pcv?

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
positive crank vent it has to do w/ tb vac but usually a bad one will increase idle, maybe? pull it from the valve cover usually left side shake it if it rattles freely its good, while its running put your finger as a plug the idle should go up slutly. common tune up part cheap if its a gas pump prepare for an eight hundred dollar bill. can you check fuel pressure your self?

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Do NOT pay $800.
You can do it yourself, in your driveway for about 1/4 of that.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Clean your the TB and it should be OK!

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
im sure it can be done cheaper but, theres 3 diff pumps that cost near $200 then selves and i dont have a place to store 35 gallons of gas. plus gas lines today hold 80 lbs of pressure. my tool box isnt that large yet and the liability are the issues for me. soon i will mod the intake mani so i will accumulate the high pressure line tools. lets hope its a tune up part but the pumps go bad alot.

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I did not need any high pressure line tools. There is a simple disconnect up at the fuel rail, I used a small flat screwdriver IIRC. Just a plate that holds the fitting in place.
If he removes the bed he won't have to worry about storing any fuel.
Need a large torx driver (for the bolts in the bed, 3 friends, and about 2 hours each way.

Should be able to tackle it in a weekend, taking your time. Match up the pump by removing the old unit first.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.