DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: Can I fit 315-70-17's on my new stock 04 Ram 1500 4x4? If I cannot what is the biggest tire I can fit? I get a different answer from every shop I talk to......most saying the biggest is a 285-70-17 which is only a 32.7". I have the stock 245's on there now and they look terrible. PLEASE HELP! :help:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Beanpolio,

First, welcome to the Forum, good to have you with us! :cool:

You may want to use the search feature, there is tons of info on this subject and cranking the torsion bars too.

Yes, you can fit 315's under your stock 4x4 1500, even using the stock rims, which should be 17 x 8. It will be best to crank the torsion bars at least 4 turns to give it a little lift in the front end. Plus, it will look a lot better than the factory nose low look.

Next consideration, you're going from a 245 to a much larger tire. It's a safe bet you have 3.55 gears in your axle housings which means you are going to lose a lot of low end acceleration by going to that large of a tire. You could swap in lower gears to compensate but that is a tad bit pricey, but if you've got the cash and are of a mind to....

Should you want to go with a tire larger than your stockers, but with a smaller diameter than the 315 BFG's, check out the 285 BFG's, 295 Nitto Terra Grapplers (just now coming off national backorder, I waited 6 weeks for mine, but supply will catch up with demand very soon, if not already) and the Goodyear 305 MTR's. The BFG's and Nitto's are all terrain tread designs while the Goodyears MTR's are mud terrains.

Hope this helps!

Zach

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm in the same situation with 3.55s. What aspect ratio do the 295 Nittos and the 285 BFGs come in? Any pics of the Nittos on stock 17" rims out there?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Diameter of Nitto Terra 295's is 33.10". BFG has a great chart on their web site, as do most tire manufacturers, which list sizes and specs, check there for the 285 spec.

Zach

·
Registered
560 Posts
TexasZach, you sure 315's fit? I am running 305's on my 02 1500 and I could not fit 315's without cranking the torsion bars. I have even read other guys on this site tell me that 315's rub pretty bad.

I wouldn't go higher than 305's unless you are cranking the torsion bars.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you are using factory rims, the 315's fit with torsion bars cranked. I've read a lot of threads here and that is the general rule on a 1500 4x4.

If you read my intial response carefully, you'll see that I did recommend the torsion bars be cranked to fit the 315's, need more caffiene? :D

Smiling when I ask that.....

Zach

·
Registered
152 Posts
tommiwan said:
TexasZach, you sure 315's fit? I am running 305's on my 02 1500 and I could not fit 315's without cranking the torsion bars. I have even read other guys on this site tell me that 315's rub pretty bad.
I have the BFG that are 315 and the only time that I get tire rub is if I crank it all the way to the stops. Once they rub I can back off the wheel maybe an 1/8th of a turn and they stop rubbing. Maybe because of offset on the rims I am not sure.

Tatakai

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tatakai: Did you have to crank down the torsion bars to fit?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Beanpolio....My initial response includes the disclaimer that they will fit, bars cranked AND on the factory wheels. Tatakai has aftermarket wheels with a different offset which, as he pointed out, is why he's getting a mild rub at full lock.

He's posted some nice pics of his truck in another thread, which looks awesoome, might want to check 'em out too.

Zach

·
Registered
199 Posts
with 315's on stock SPORT SLT rims, will they tuck nicely under the wheel well or will it look like they are too far in?

I plan on running keys up front with a couple turns of the T-bars and a 1" block in the rear. I'm afraid i might get a roller skate look due to the offset and width of the stock wheels.

Also, what kind of gas mileage are u looking at with a hemi and 35's?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TexasZach said:
Beanpolio....My initial response includes the disclaimer that they will fit, bars cranked AND on the factory wheels. Tatakai has aftermarket wheels with a different offset which, as he pointed out, is why he's getting a mild rub at full lock.

He's posted some nice pics of his truck in another thread, which looks awesoome, might want to check 'em out too.

Zach

TexasZach: You were right! Thanks for the advice. I had the tires installed last Friday and they fit perfectly. There is no rub at all and they look great! :rck: I'll take some pics and post them later but thanks for the held.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.