DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
to poor to go to the shop
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals first off thanks for all and any assistance. So here goes. I have a 2001 Dodge ram 1500 slt with automatic trans and roughly 240,000 miles. a few weeks ago it started to misfire really bad while driving. initially I did not get a check engine light or anything. when I drove it the next time it would run great for about 50 miles then it would start misfiring again. this time I got a P1391 code. With that I went and replaced the Crankshaft position sensor. Cranked up and ran fine for 50 or so miles then starts misfiring again. P1391 comes up again. ( I cleared code out after I replaced sensor) so this time I change dist cap and rotor and cam sensor thats on dist. cranks up runs fine for about 50 miles then starts misfiring again. code as you guess P1391. This time I change the coil out and check plug wires. Now this time cranks up runs fine for about 50 miles then starts to misfire but this time I get P1391 and P0351. I have no idea what else to flipping do!! I can't afford to take it to a shop but I also can't afford to keep changing stuff out that does not fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
34 Posts
You mentioned checking the wires but not replacing them. They could be worn enough that when engine is hot they aren't responding properly. They really should be at the higher end of Ohm resistance if towards the bottom I would replace even though they may fall into the ok specs. (250ohms per inch - 1000ohms per inch). Also check the plugs make sure they are gapped properly and not fouled.

·
to poor to go to the shop
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok yea the wires are not that old but its worth a try. I have replaced about everything else so yeah I will give the wires a try and see what that does. It has just stumped me being that she cranks fine and runs fine for about 50 miles then she runs like crap. Thanks for the input I will definitely do that now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also just remind you of the spark plugs, here is a little info you may not be aware of specially if you just replaced them within the year.

Depending on style of driving but in normal of operation the gap increases about .001 in. for every 1.000-2,500 miles and of course as the gap increases the spark plugs voltage requirement also increases. This gap if you don't have a manual should be listed on a sticker located under the hood.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I recommend Delphi if you dont get them from the dealer. :)

P1391 Intermittent Loss of CMP or CKP
P0351 Ignition Coil # 1 Primary Circuit

Possible the coil is going since you have a code for it. You can test it with a multimeter and get the readings across the terminals. Don't know what the readings are supposed to be off the top of my head though.

·
Cant see me
1,210 Posts
Any updates on this issue?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.