DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
99 Grand Caravan Sport 3.3.
All of the gauges, heater, rear defrost a windshield wiper, abs light constant on, and overhead trip computer have magically stopped working. It all started one beautiful winters day in February when the dash decided to stop working. I read a post somewhere to give it the good old open palm smack on top of the cluster which solved the problem for about a month. Then the smack on the dash trick would not work any longer. I proceeded to remove the dash to determine if a couple of the pins were broken as I have read this is a very common problem. This was not the problem so I did more research and seen a couple threads that it could be the iod fuse in the fuse block under the hood. Still not the problem. before I attempted my next bit of nightmare problem solving I wanted to see if anyone else has ran in to this problem and what my next step should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading..... Bones

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured the problem out after 3 months of messing with it. Pulled the heater controls out and wiggled the wires connected to it and BAM all problems solved. Wierd. Thanks for looking

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the same problem in my 2K 'Van. The ground lead on the back of the heat control harness (Largest wire, I believe Blk w/Yel trace) gets hot and melts the plug, It gets loose and then arcs, causing the pin to become carbonized. Cleaning the pin with an emery board will help. If not you may have to take the gauge panel out and resolder the pins on the connector in the middle of the panel. Look on U-Tube, there are several videos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another known instrument cluster issue

I've heard this referred to as the "slap dash repair", but slapping (or even punching) my dash didn't help at all. If this sounds like what you're experiencing, it may be cracked solder joint(s) on the instrument cluster circuit board. I found some YouTube vids on this issue for a number of Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler models. I'll just list one for a 1999 Caravan (which I have) and another for 95-99 Neons (had a '96 Dodge Neon before the van). Soldering on the back of any circuit board is pretty standard, regardless of whether it's in your vehicle's dash or in your desktop computer.

Repair instrument cluster 1999 dodge caravan -- youtu.be/Ha7KXBbP2AY

95-99 Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Neon Instrument Cluster Repair -- youtu.be/CtwnsPmkX1M

And the vid below shows how to remove the cluster from the dash. I think that's on a 2001 Grand Caravan, but the procedure is very similar, if not identical:

Dodge Caravan Voyager Instrument Cluster Removal -- youtu.be/EDvqXmhG8Uk

Hope that helps, if not you, then somebody else :)

~Chele

P.S. I'm a member of this forum under user ID: MAMiller, having problems logging in, so I registered a new acct. Since new users can only post URLs after they've made 5 posts, you may have to search YouTube using the titles of the vids

1 - 4 of 4 Posts