DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
find the factory sending unit for my stock oil pressure guage so i can install my new oil pressure gauge. Any help would be great. (either a walk through or suggestions or pics anything) Thanks in advance for your help! :) :IDEA: :help: :help: :help:

Gauges can be found here (see link) gauges

Attachments

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
It's on the front of the motor right above the oil filter.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Here's a pic from the front of the engine....

Attachments

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Oops i just noticed you have a 4.7 in which case I have no idea. I just looked at my work truck with a 4.7 and I couldn't find it. For some reason I always assume everyone has a Hemi!! :D

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Okay I just looked in the service manual and it is above the oil filter on the 4.7 also. Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but you should be able to spot it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok cool thaks for the help. I guess I just unscreww the old one and screw in the new sender and hook the new gauge up??? I can wire it up no problom just have questions mainly on the sender portion of the install. Thanks again for your help. :gr_patrio :cool: :)

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
I'm pretty sure you will want to do something with the factory wiring as well. If you leave it unplugged it will probably throw some sort of code. You'll probably have to splice all the wiring together so it goes to the aftermarket gauge and to the factory gauge. I haven't tried it so don't quote me on this......

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Yup, like said above. You can't just eliminate the old sensor because it'll set codes and probably shut the engine down.

You will probably need a 't' or 'y' fitting so that you can put it into the engine, then put each sensor on the ends.

·
Banned
2,489 Posts
There are two plugs above your 4.7L filter. One of them is common to the stock oil pressure switch location which is filter out oil pressure and the other one is filter in oil pressure. If you use the port that is common to the stock oil pressure switch location you will not need to remove the stock switch and the pressure that you are measuring will be the same as the stock switch. I have previously posted which port is the correct one and what size the plugs are if you want to do a search.

·
Registered
365 Posts
dodge3471 is exactly right and helped me earlier in the year with this. However you will need a different fitting to fit the sending unit in the port on the motor. Not sure on the exact size but it is different from the Hemis. No codes or anything but I left the stock gauge hooked up.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so if im hearing you all right there are to places that a sender can be hooked up too huh? One is being used for the factory and the other is for an aux use?

How about if I just use the stock sending unit?

·
Banned
2,489 Posts
blkramlb22s said:
ok so if im hearing you all right there are to places that a sender can be hooked up too huh? One is being used for the factory and the other is for an aux use?

How about if I just use the stock sending unit?
There are three oil pressure ports near the oil filter on a 4.7L. Two are unused and are either 3/8" or 1/2" NPT with plugs in them and one is a 1/8" NPT port has the stock oil pressure sending unit screwed into it. One of the unused ports is oil filter in pressure and the other one is oil filter out pressure. The oil filter out pressure is the one you want and it is common with the factory oil pressure switch location and the middle hole that the oil filter attaches to. The dirty oil goes around the outside of the oil filter and the clean oil enters the engine through the middle hole on the oil filter. With the stock sender, oil filter, and spare ports open you should be able to figure out which spare port is common with the switch location and filter out pressure. You may want to pick up a 1/2" NPT to 1/8" NPT bushing (adapter) as well as a 3/8" NPT to 1/8" NPT bushing (adapter.)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok thank you will try to see what can be done and update soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.