DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Praise the Lowered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting on my new intake today and I acidentaly touched the intake (metal) to the ground on the passengers side fender right where the airbox usually is.:mad:
It sparked and all of a sudden my lights started flashing and it was like somebody was turning all of my lights on and off. I went around to the cab and all my gauges were lighting up on and off with the exterior lights. I unhook the ground so the stop flashing and then hook it back up to see what happens. There are no sparks and the lights dont start flashing. I go to turn my lights on to see if they work and my passenger side headlight does not work or my turn signal/ parking lamp. I hit the right side blinkers and it hyper flashes, but all other lights and functions working as they should.

What could be wrong with it? I thought it might be the multifunction headlight switch but wouldnt that mess up driver and passenger lights?

This is my only car and I have to drive at night to get home from work and cant drive with a headlight/turnsignal/parking lamp out. Any help/ideas apprecited...:worthy:

·
Praise the Lowered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NOT MY PIC but here is a picture of the ground bolt im talking about:

Attachments

·
paul
951 Posts
did you check the fuses? try reset the PCM or leave the battery disconnected overnight,
that's strange you touched the ground and sparked you must have had touched the positive at the same time

·
Praise the Lowered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the fuses for all the lamps I saw but I couldnt find the headlamp fuse. It wasnt on the list on the fuse box cover. Ill try the pcm reset tommorow. I was thinking the same thing about the ground sparking but there wasnt anything live that I touched.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
that is strange. I'm sure my intake hit the ground a few times while I was installing mine, and nothing like that happened.

on a side note, is that you in your avatar? lol

(oh whatever, I'm not the only one thinking that :thatfunny)

·
Praise the Lowered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha no thats my girl.

Well I think it may be linked to my HIDs. I wired a capacitor in for the lamp out light and it looks like there was a hot wire exposed (damn electrical tape came off). Hot the two touched......Im clueless.

:teacher:BUT I did just go out there with a test light and the hot wires from the factory headlight harness and my hids are all testing good current. I think my HID bulb mightve blown? But that still doesnt explain the hyper-flash of my rear passenger turn signal (front doesnt do anything so idk if it hyper-flashes as well0. Ill pull the light tomorrow and see if the bulbs blown and test the turn signal connection.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Yeah, there is no way a ground can "ground" and spark. It had to be a live wire, which it sounds like you found. Now just check all your light wiring and hope you didn't smoke the computer. A painful lesson of ensuring all live wires are covered, with more then tape. Now I gotta go check mine.........

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
I was just also going to add there is no way the CAI itself could do it but it seems you may be onto something else so thats good.

·
Praise the Lowered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it fixed guys. Thanks for all the help. Turns out that the ground I was talking about got crossed with that hot wire ecause it was stretched out. Moved the ground to a hole over and no more problems. Thank God I got it fixed because I dont have the money or time to have paid to get it fixed. Thanks again!!!

·
The White Collar Redneck
1,807 Posts
This reminds me of the time when I was installing my oil pressure gauge. I was probing the harness behind the driver's a pillar, trying to find an illumination source. I bridged something and saw some sparks... didn't think anything of it.

Finished up the install, and went to start the truck... nothing. I thought maybe the clutch switch was messed up or something. Searched the fuse panel, and didn't see anything. Then I started to get concerned.

When I checked the fuse block again, I found that the PCM fuse was toasted. Repalced, reset the pcm, and was on my way.

Its not a good feeling, though. Thats for damn sure.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Had a friend that needed his car jumped. Gave him the cables to hook her up and asked if he knew how to do it properly. He said "yes." so I trusted him. Started up the car and my fusible links caught on fire!:jmad: Needless to say, I am the only one that hooks up cables now when I jump someone.

·
Dead Body Man
71 Posts
i work at an auto parts store and we let a guy us the jump box, he hooked it up backwards and melted his battery ant the jump box then came in an proceeded to cuss us out what an idiot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.