Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is long, I apologize. Just want to get all info in here.

I own a 98 Dakota Sport which became my worst enemy about 24 hours ago. Last night I went to the store and attempted to lock the door with the remote, which has been just peachy for the past 7 years. It was completely useless so I left it unlocked and ran in the store, bought new batteries for the remote while I was there and changed them. When I came back out, the alarm had automatically set and still the remote was useless. So I unlocked it manually, opened the door and of course the alarm blared. I couldn't get it to turn off and, because the alarm had not been properly disengaged, it wouldn't start! Gotta love that anti-theft feature...NOT. The alarm finally stopped on its own and I just left it there and walked home.

Went back later on and the same thing happened. I finally said 'screw this', popped the hood and yanked the 3 wires that connected the alarm. This brought on blissful silence...for about 30 seconds. Now the %$#@ horn beeps/headlights flash on and off and I can't get it to stop!!! If I unlock the truck manually, the horn doesn't sound but I can't start the damn thing unless I mess with all the buttons on the remote, which causes the horn to blare, leaving me flustered and when it stops and the truck starts I have no idea how I did it! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I read the owner's manual cover-to-cover 3 times so far and there's nothing about this in there. It talks about the Smart Key System which will immobilize the truck if the vehicle electronics don't recognize the signal from the ignition key, and how to use your remote (come on now..."LOCK", "UNLOCK", "PANIC" -- seems relatively straightforward to me!) but nothing on the hell I have now.

I really just want to know how to turn this feature off without disabling the horn itself. I am a female who doesn't mind breaking a few nails or getting dirty...I just have no clue where to look right now and if I don't find out soon I'm gonna blow it up and laugh my a$$ off. ;)

Thanks a lot!
mistic

·
Registered
155 Posts
Welcome to Dodge Talk! Hey Mystic, sorry it took so long for someone to respond. Anyway, what kind of alarm do you have? I don't know if it's an aftermarked alarm or the one that came with the truck. I was under the impression the vehicle came with a keyless entry fob only and not with an alarm. If your truck came with the alarm then I'm sorry for the lack of response because I've never heard of anyone having a problem with it and I did not know of a factory alarm upgrade. I hope by now you got it fixed. Good luck!

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Do you have the sentry key security system or an aftermarket alarm?

Not sure if this will work, but did you try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes to allow the computer to reset? It seems like your computer may be in a weird logic state and maybe resetting it by disconnecting the battery would clear up the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my dakota dosnt have the alarm. but i have a blazer that does and there is a button under the dash you push while starting. the remote has to be reprogramed after changeing batterys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.