DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, stressed out dodge ram 1500 owner.... I purchased a used 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 pick-up and I also purchased an extended warranty. It turns out that my vechile has an emissions problem and the PMC and Altenator need to be replace. The PCM (emissions issue) is covered under the extended warranty, however there seems to be a small discrepency, it appears that the warranty is 8 yrs or 80,000 miles. The problem is that I am at 80,509 miles. Is there anything that can be done to override and approve the emissions repair be covered under the warranty, as there is no way to afford all the repairs as my husband is the only one currently working (lost job due to econ) and we are barely making ends meet now. Please Please Please... If you can help me or know who I should speak to about my request please let me know. I can be reached at 707.816.8587 or my email address is [email protected].

Thank you,
Bianca Ramirez

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Welcome to DodgeTalk Bianca. I am going to put this in the 3G Ram area which pertains to your truck. However, if the warranty is expired, that generally means you are going to have to pay for the repairs yourself.

Please do not make any more duplicate posts of this same message.

Thanks!

·
Bigg Rigg
2,063 Posts
I thought the emissions warranty was 10/100,00 but maybe I wrong. I need to get my manual out.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
I thought the emissions warranty was 10/100,00 but maybe I wrong. I need to get my manual out.
Chrysler's standard warranty during the 3rd Gen years was 3 years/36,000 miles "bumper to bumper", and 10 years/100k on rust and corrosion*. At times they offered a longer powertrain warranty as part of the deal, such as from '02-'05 the "7-70" (it was actually 7-100 for a few months in '02) and the "Lifetime Powertrain Warranty" from mid-'07 to about the end of the 3rd Gen truck model run.

There was no exception made for emissions -- it's covered under the 3 year/36,000 unless an extended warranty is purchased by the owner. The OP said she bought a warranty that expired at 80k. We don't know who she bought it from. Could be Chrysler, or some third party company, but it really doesn't matter. If the warranty expired at 80k, and she is even one mile over that, then she is now going to have to pay for those repairs out of pocket.

* Yes, I know diesels are different -- but this lady said she has a 1500.;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
ALL vehicles sold in the U.S. have an 8/80 emmissions warranty from the factory. This warranty covers pcm's, catalytic converters, etc. If you are a squeaky wheel at the dealer, sometimes you can get it goodwilled. Tho unlikely to happen if your not the original owner.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
ALL vehicles sold in the U.S. have an 8/80 emmissions warranty from the factory. This warranty covers pcm's, catalytic converters, etc. If you are a squeaky wheel at the dealer, sometimes you can get it goodwilled. Tho unlikely to happen if your not the original owner.
Do you have a link to verify this info? First I have heard of it.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Ok -- found it!

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

There's some "Red tape" in there, for sure. But this is good info. I still don't think it solves the OP's problem. She is over 80k and not the original owner. This being a Fed program and not an actual extended warranty, and the potential implications to a dealer or shop for bending the rules -- I don't think she has a prayer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If by chance the truck happened to be purchased used from a Dodge dealer there might be a chance of some goodwill help, if not probably S.O.L. Never hurts to contact the warranty company and beg, plead, and cry. That's what I plan on doing if I can't get some warranty help on my rear end.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The OP could try to contact Chrysler and perhaps they might "goodwill" it, but unless she can show they have been loyal Chrysler/Dodge customers, I don't think they'll cover it since they are not the original owners. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask. The worst Chrysler can say is no.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Dodge as a used vehicle did offer 8y 80k mile extended care warantee, As I had purchased it at close of sale, Used it once to cover the fault power door looks which was covered under that plan.
To OP if you had the truck in before the 80k expiration for a similar issue of smog or emissions, you could get the dealership to cover, it's a long shot, but doable. The other choice is to go thru ebay or your choice and find a matching year and Cali exempted PCM, should run around 300 delivered, when you find the right seller, (sometimes $200)

·
Im wired!!!
2,344 Posts
LACK OF MAINTANCE.... every thing is electrical which effects every thing, think about it, make sure the juice is there and it solves all the problems. Probably just bad grounding some wheres, which leads to low spark which will get you a lighter wallet and less mpg and all kinds of emissions crap.....THE VEHICLES ARE FKN PICKY ON ELECTRICAL!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.