DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! My husband has a beat up 1973 Dodge VAn and I was going to come to the rescue and fix the license plate light and the interior light in the rear. It all work fine until I closed the back door and the lights went dim. I the smart one taped over where the metal touched metal and everything was okay. Until, this morning!! We went out to start it and it wouldn't, I fired everything!!!! Can anyone help me so I can redeem myself??? My husband is about to break out the tar and feathers!! :help:

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
It's odd that it didn't blow a fuse. Check them anyway.

Under the hood near the battery is the "bulkhead connector." This is where the wires pass throught the firewall into the van. There are two "fusible links" (safety wires) in this area...they come off the battery. Check to make sure they have or haven't burned through.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you.....I will look into that RIGHT NOW!! just a quick note- the ground wire on that was completely melted from beginning to end!! I'm lucky I didnt wake up to a pile of ashes!

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
It's possible that your rear interior light is shorted. On early models these are connected from battery+, to fusible link, thru bulkhead connector, to light, back to the light switch which closes the loop to ground when turned on.
If the bulb is missing and the wires moved they can short to ground blowing out the fusible link. These can leave no symptoms they, so pull on them lightly if they stretch there blown.
As for the terminal at the rear door it's only on when the tail lights are on, and if it is shorted there is a fuse to protect that circuit.
--B-300--

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Am So Very Grateful!!

Hello- I wanted to give a BIG THANKS to you for your advice and information on the 1973 Dodge van. I called sesveral auto parts houses, online parts houses, several junk and scrap yards and not one, not ONE knew what in the heck I was talking about!!? *Concerning the "bulkhead connector"* Finally , went to a scrap yard in person and found a "73 and removed the part myself and ya know that ol" man charged me 50 bucks!! I felt it a bit pricy since I was the one that got dirty!! Small price to pay I suppose - could of really hurt alot more!! Come to find out it was a blessing in disquise..there were quiet a few "shorts" found along the way so maybe I'm not so dumb!! lol
Thanks Again - I do appreciate your time and consideration on my behalf. That tar and feathers would of hurt!!! :dtrocks:

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
$50!?!? Good god...I'd say it was pricey!

If you want I can scan the electrical diagrams for a '73 and post them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be awesome!!!! Looked pretty much everywhere for a complete wiring diagram on the net, I'm cheap (ha ha) didn't want to buy the book.! No idea what the price for the whole book would be.But yes if you would do that! What a prince! ThANKS A MILLION!!! :)

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
You can find the factory service manuals on Ebay pretty cheap. I think there's one on there for a '73 now. I'll post the link if I can find it.

In the meantime I'll scan the diagrams tonight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.