Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Fueled by 1.21 jiggawatts
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
04hemigtx5.7 put this idea in my head.

I've been searching for that "perfect" wheel, for as long as I've owned my truck. I can't find what I want. I thought I wanted black/chrome lip, but I didn't want to over due the black on my truck. Photo chops only work so well, I needed real world, I needed to walk around it.

So, since this stuff (Plasti Dip) can be taken back off the wheel w/o hurting the wheel I did a little experiment.

I really like it!! What do you guys think?

What I think I want do now is find a set of factory 20s that are painted and have them powder coated like this.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
I like it. :tup:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Looks kick ass and very original too never seen or thought of that b4

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I think that looks really good! Your truck is probably my fav on DT.

·
The White Collar *******
1,807 Posts
That works very well for your truck!

In my opinion, the stock wheels (and especially this modified version) work well with your truck. I was actually disapponited when you made that thread regarding a possible wheel change. The truck looks great with these wheels!

·
That guy
3,097 Posts
It looks really good on your truck, I would run that!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Looks great, but is it me or does it make the wheels look smaller? You have one of the best paint schemes I have seen.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
That looks cool Bro. I contemplated doing mine like that. But due to a time constraint I said "Eff this" lol. I sprayed em completely semi gloss. Looks tough on your truck though.

KB

·
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks cool Bro. I contemplated doing mine like that. But due to a time constraint I said "Eff this" lol. I sprayed em completely semi gloss. Looks tough on your truck though.

KB
Thanks guys!! I'm still some what on the fence with the idea. I think the flat black kinda throws me.

KB: If I stick with this idea, I'm gonna get some painted 20s like you found and get them powder coated gloss black. Cool part with this plasti Dip stuff, I can get it back off the chrome, and it doesn't hurt the wheel.

But, what I'd really like are those 025 eagles your hiding away!!! I've tried to get some and because they are discontinued I can't come up with them anywhere. I want a set of them and powder coat the centers black.

·
Registered
19 Posts
looks great

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
Thanks guys!! I'm still some what on the fence with the idea. I think the flat black kinda throws me.

KB: If I stick with this idea, I'm gonna get some painted 20s like you found and get them powder coated gloss black. Cool part with this plasti Dip stuff, I can get it back off the chrome, and it doesn't hurt the wheel.

But, what I'd really like are those 025 eagles your hiding away!!! I've tried to get some and because they are discontinued I can't come up with them anywhere. I want a set of them and powder coat the centers black.
Hey hey hey, get in line buddy :D

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
I think that works, but instead of buying a new set, just use those. :D

·
Living in my own world
449 Posts
Looks great

·
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that works, but instead of buying a new set, just use those. :D
I can't. Wish I could. Their stupid chrome clads, can't paint em' can't powder coat em'. I need the painted version of them to do it right.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Trust me, I snapped the AE 025s up as soon as I saw that deal! But an FYI for those who do want to powdercoat the chrome clads, I would say don't do it. I know the plastic cladding itself can't be PC'd. But the 02-05 flower petals looked decent with the cladding removed. Just a larger gap around the center cap area.

The 06-08s look funky with the cladding removed. Each spoke has this recessed notch on it that part of the cladding rest in/attaches to. So ripping off the 06-08 cladding to coat them is no bueno in my opinion. Wish I could find the pic again. had it saved to my secondary drive, which just crashed this weekend. Grr!

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Found the pic on here real quick. I mean some people may not mind it. To me it looks weird having a recess on each spoke. Then you have the larger opening around the center cap area.

KB

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.