DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plastic chrome wheels

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  BrentWatson 
#1 ·
I need some info here please. My wife while driving our '13 Citadel, parked too close to a curb & scraped one of the plastic chrome wheel covers. There is 2 of the spokes that are scraped. Is the plastic part replaceable or does the whole wheel need to be replaced. Talked to local dealer, had to explain several times what I needed, when he finally said, "just replace the wheel for $500.":help:

#2 ·
If it's the same as the Ram models with the "chrome" wheels, that chrome cover is really hard to get off since it's glued to an aluminum rim. Unfortunately the only way to really repair this issue is to buy a whole new wheel. Try looking other places, the dealership will always charge you way more.

#5 ·
Short answer is no. You need to replace the rim.

Long answer. You can find the chrome covers if you look hard enough, but they won't come cheap. You then need to strip the chrome off the aluminum rim, which is on with some heavy duty adhesive (not intended to ever come off), and then apply the new cladding. This whole process will likely cost about the same as replacing the rim (unless you buy the rim for Dodge), and will take many hours of effort. Nothing is impossible so I wanted to give you the long answer too.

However for some curb rash, you're best bet is to buy a new rim, and sell the damaged one to cover some of the cost (or use it for your spare instead of the stock steelie). Not what you want to hear, but that cladding isn't intended to ever come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.