DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that saw my Ram at the El Paso GTG could see the damage the sun was doing too my pinstripes. Well the damage is complete and the clear backing on the barbed wire pinstripe has turned dark brown on the curb-side front door. Well, I have ordered new pinstripes but I’m unsure how to remove the old stuff without damaging the paint. I could just take it to the auto body shop and let my friend Carl do the job. But Carl’s time is money and I don’t have the cash but I do have the time. I was told that Vodka would remove the stripes. I was told for the Vodka to work you would put some on the stripes and have an equal amount for the detailer; when the job is done both of you will be naked in the driveway. As much fun as that sound, I would prefer not to scare the neighborhood kids. I’ve not done much in the way of body work so a little help here would be appreciated.

:help: :help: :help:

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Surly someone has removed old pinstripes from there truck?

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
How about taking a hair dryer and heating them up. should pull right off

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The strips are five years old; they’re in little pieces. Let me get a picture posted just how back they look.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK ... this is how bad it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
I'll bet that when that stripe is removed its going to have ghosting bad....

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
3M adhesive remover. Walmart carries it in the paint area. Spray it down, let it soak in, and start peeling. It will remove wax so you'll have to wash & wax the truck afterwards. I've used this stuff the remove the badges from my harley. No ill effects.

·
If only I had more $$$
3,696 Posts
4404spd said:

Then it will be a two-tone,....

I hate removing old decals like that,... baked in from the heat of the sun..

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
dale3fan3 said:
if it is a vinyl stripe get a eraser wheel at napa and follow the directions in the how to debadge thread.
Ditto that, except the NAPA part... they're cheaper EVERYWHERE else.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4404spd said:
Mudchucker said:
Then it will be a two-tone,....

I hate removing old decals like that,... baked in from the heat of the sun.
I'm not worried about the ghosting because I've order a few rolls of the new pin striping. It should be here later this week.

Thanks for help everyone ... :D

·
krs225
48 Posts
I do auto detailing.... The hair dryer works. However, you may have some discoloration due to the age of the pinstriping. First make sure the vehicle is in a cool place. Heat up a small area of the pinstripe at a time. As it gets hot, use your fingernail to peal it away a little at a time. After you remove it, use a 50/50 solution of Simple Green and water to wipe off any left over residue. Depending on the paint condition, you may want to polish/buff the area where you removed the pinstriping. Here's a link to where I purchase my detailing supplies: www.adamspolishes.com I would suggest the "Swirl & Haze Remover" and the "Revive Polish." It sound tedious, but without bringing it to a body shop and spending a lot of $$$, that's it. I've never removed pinstriping that's been on a vehicle for more than a year or so. So, you may have some difficulty.

Hope this helps!!

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I had a doctor’s appointment today and I stopped by my friends Auto Body. He said if I'm buying the stripes, he'll only change me $20 or $25 bucks to pull the old stuff off and redo the stripes. For that price, he’s doing the job as soon as I get the stripes delivered to me at the house.

·
krs225
48 Posts
pinstripes

Hey, for that price......DO IT! I was just giving you some input if you really wanted to try to be as careful as possible and try to preserve your paint. But, if you're just gonna replace over the original pinstriping, go for it.

Thanks,
Kris

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No way am I going to restripe over the old brown crap. He's going to remove the old stuff and restripe the truck for $20 - $25 bucks but that's only if I bring the new rolls of stripe with me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.