DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from a 700km trip and noticed a little bit of oil under the truck. I got down with a light to check it out and noticed it was red. I looked up to check around and immediately noticed at the rear of the tranny pan that the gasket was all wet. I also noticed near the transfer case that there are splash marks up above the front drive shaft. It too is a little wet up in and around that area.
I am wondering if I have double trouble here. It looks to me as if it is the gasket for the tranny pan as well as the pinion seal if I have that correct. I am almost due to have the tranny service done as well as the transfer case. It would be the 48000km or 30000mile change. I might just get this for free because they will have to at least drain the tranny to repair the gasket.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me if it is the pinion seal or is it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just hope it's a pan gasket and output shaft seal are leaking. I've seen more than just that.

If it was me, I'd take it to Dodge dealer and have them take a look, clean off all the leaks around then add leak dye tracer to it and drive it then recheck, I've seen a fews with hairline cracked at the case on the left side of the trans infront of big wire connector.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not good news.
I am on my way to the dealer this morning first thing after work. I will mention that leak dye tracer though. I should of taken some photos and posted. If they send me home and make a later appointment I will take them and post them for some to see in case they run into the same problems.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its right at the rear of the tranny pan.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just picked up the truck from service and they told me they put the dye into the tranny and said drive it for a week or two or until a noticable leak appears.
They wiped everything clean and also spilled that shit all down the right side of my engine. They also said some tranny pan bolts were a little loose where the leak was and retourqued them. Its the waiting game I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.