DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
racer21
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it bad to drive far if the engine is pinging. Mine did it a little today and freaked me out. It went away after a minute or so. Just want to make sure if it dose it again Im not hurting anything.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
yes it could . if it happen when your just cruzing it could be bad thing . at the very least you would cook the cat cuz exhaust temp's will rise .air fuel ratio is to lean . PUT A 180 STAT IN and check your plenum pan for oil leak . HOPE THIS IS HELPFULL .:SPIN:

·
Registered
62 Posts
yes it could . if it happen when your just cruzing it could be bad thing . at the very least you would cook the cat cuz exhaust temp's will rise .air fuel ratio is to lean . PUT A 180 STAT IN and check your plenum pan for oil leak . HOPE THIS IS HELPFULL .:SPIN:

I did a 180 degree stat and a new Hughs plenum.....but I still get the occasional pinging.....any other things for a fix? or is something really bad going on?

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,659 Posts
up your octane, and try colder sparkplugs. i think im running the champion 4471 but i will have to look up when i get home.

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
Check the plugs for fouling/excessive wear/correct gap...or replace them and make sure they're gaped correctly. Copper plugs such as Champion, NGK or various versions of Autolite. They don't have to be a cooler running plug, but they will help performance if you don't have to worry about driving in winter. You'll feel the difference with the 180F stat as well in winter.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I did a 180 degree stat and a new Hughs plenum.....but I still get the occasional pinging.....any other things for a fix? or is something really bad going on?
i agree with dodgefan360 u dont need a colder plug tell u find the cause of the ping . cold plug cold weather short trip's = fouled plug's

chm2007 is right use higher octane . do tune up wire's ect .... and a hugh's plate can still leak oil if not installed right not say u did but u never know .

we all want to add a cai bigger throttle body exhaust headers but all these will lean out a motor so u need to add more fuel . o2 sensor could be bad or weak . a slow o2 can lean a motor out . occasional ping going up hill wot hot day ?

p.s. u can check the pvc see if it is allowing oil to be sucked up in to manifold . mine did so i added a cheap fuel filter problem fixed .HOPE THIS HELP'S . :SPIN:

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,659 Posts
ok, had time to figure out what im running. its champion 4436 truck series

·
racer21
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the truck is runing lean wouldnt puting in a 180 stat allow colder air, Thus causing the truck to become more lean by sucking a higher density of air? Or am I not understanding what the stat will do?

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
If the truck is runing lean wouldnt puting in a 180 stat allow colder air, Thus causing the truck to become more lean by sucking a higher density of air? Or am I not understanding what the stat will do?
The stat would cause the engine to run at a colder temperature, thus the fuel burns more efficiently.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
These engines just ping. Period. Been chasing my tail on this for 7 years and over 66k miles. Dodge didn't put knock sensors on these engines so you have to figure it out for yourself. (thanks DC) But these guys have all nailed the bandaids^^^^. My experience is just a little carbon buildup will cause it. I run frequent cans of Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner and Seafoam through it to keep it clean. Here's what else I've done:
180 stant stat
Champion truckplugs (autolites pinged worse)
Hughes Plenum (stock was perfect but did it anyway)
Re-route wires
89 octane

Like I said, these are just bandaids. Like Dodge's bandaid the Deathflash. Make sure everything else is in tip top shape.

But to your question, no. A little ping will not hurt anything. Mine's done it off and on all these years and hasn't skipped a beat.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
180 stat lower's cylinder temp's . pcm see lower temp in temp sensor and add's more fuel ping gone . i dont have the deathflash and i have done the crank sensor mod to advance base timing and still no ping . cold engine needs a hot plug , hot engine needs a cold plug , to keep carbon build up to a min. longer projected nose plug will advance timing slightly as a shorter tip will retard timing that why a champion truck plug 4071 has been reported to help with pinging . HOPE THIS HELP'S :SPIN:

P . S . NOT ALL ARE ENGINE'S PING

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
No, they don't all ping. I have never had a spark knock (ping) out of my 96 318 in the 5 or 6 six years I've owned it and I run 87 octane. No death flash either.:gr_patrio

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I never said they ALL ping. I just said they ping. Big difference. Most engines when pinging mean something is terribly wrong or the knock sensor is failed. These engines can and will ping and it just means there's some carbon or it's too lean. If you never tune up or clean it out it will ping. It's sort of like a warning light telling you to check something. But those of you who have never had it are very lucky. I've researched the heck out of it for 7 years and it was (is) a huge issue for these engines. I would say there's more that do than don't. Many owners turn up the radio or just use higher octane gas. I also read where a possible head casting could have caused it. Sort of like the diesel 53 block issue. Not every engine but enough to cause uproar. .02

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

·
Mopar owner since 1977
1,204 Posts
I'm not sure I can explain it, but I'm pretty sure the cold plug hot engine hot plug cold engine is not correct. Plug heat ranges as much to do with compression, flame path and ignition advance as engine temp. In essence the statement is true, but the actual motor temp should not totally decide plug choice. The difference between hot and cold plugs is the distance that the electrode assembly is from the base. That determines how much of the actual spark is "seen" by the incoming air/fuel mixture. In theory, hot plugs burn cleaner because the explosion of combustion tends to blow off any contaminants. But again, that is dependent on a bunch of other factors

Most pinging issues in 5.9 engines can be traced to two issues. One is a leaking plenum gasket. Oil in the air fuel ratio causes improper burning and diesel effect. Some dealers "deathflash" or retard the timing to compensate.
The second, as mentioned, is ignition timing. B&G reports finding as much as 51 degrees of advance in some of the PCMs it recieves for reflashing. Since most engines run about 36 degrees total, you can imagine the pinging you might get.

Most plug makers don't offer a wide range of plug ranges now days because of the detremental effect on emissions and mileage. I can't ever remember when changing a plugs heat range solved a pinging issue (except if there was a major carbon buildup), but adjusting the timing sure did~!

180 stats simply fool the computer at the coolant temp sensor into believing the motor is cold, so the PCM increases the dwell time of the injectors and they squirt in a bit more fuel. If you are running a colder plug, you may not get the proper spark to the A/F mix and my end up with a bigger mess. If anything, I'd want to run a hotter plug to expose more of the electrode so that richer mix sees more of the spark. BTW... the PCM soon learns the new fuel ratio and tries to advance your timimg, theoreticly leaning your engine back out. However you can compensate by putting a CAI on with a bigger filter to suck in more air. The PCM will see a lean, cold air temp at the IAT sensor, and add more fuel if it is within the loop parameter.

BTW, I didnt discuss octane, but should The higher the octane # on the pump, the cooler the fuel burns...well DUH! Sometimes that will help spark knock by a bit slower burn, but may be waste in motors that don't need it.

Now I have a headache...:(

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
In the past I used colder plugs when the compression ratio was raised, for extended high speed/high RPM operation, and added ignition advance. The trucks, especially over 3/4 ton that had the same basic engine that cars did usually used one step colder plug than the cars did. Of course that has been several years ago.:gr_patrio

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
spark plugs do two thing . 1. provide a gap for spark . 2. transfer heat to the head .

here the correct facts on heat range . colder plug simply transfer the heat faster into the head .

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/charglossary.asp?kw=Heat+range

champion spark plug has the same theory . hot engine/cold plug

http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/spark_plugs/spark_plugs.htm

heres a great write-up on the ram ping issue .

http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/Trouble/ping.htm

read em all it will help :gr_patrio

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
180 stats simply fool the computer at the coolant temp sensor into believing the motor is cold, so the PCM increases the dwell time of the injectors and they squirt in a bit more fuel. If you are running a colder plug, you may not get the proper spark to the A/F mix and my end up with a bigger mess. If anything, I'd want to run a hotter plug to expose more of the electrode so that richer mix sees more of the spark. BTW... the PCM soon learns the new fuel ratio and tries to advance your timimg, theoreticly leaning your engine back out. However you can compensate by putting a CAI on with a bigger filter to suck in more air. The PCM will see a lean, cold air temp at the IAT sensor, and add more fuel if it is within the loop parameter.

BTW, I didnt discuss octane, but should The higher the octane # on the pump, the cooler the fuel burns...well DUH! Sometimes that will help spark knock by a bit slower burn, but may be waste in motors that don't need it.

Now I have a headache...:(
The above mentioned re-learning is what neccessitates re-mapping the spark timing & fuel ranges (a PCM flash).

I ended up running 89 fuel in mine to completely eliminate ping. The 180* t-stat, autolite 3923 plugs, and PCM flash solved 99% of it.

And it is not normal for a internal combustion engine, knock sensor or not, to have predetonation / valve rattle when operating normally. A minor amount at WOT is acceptable. If mine ever started pinging I'd be looking into why.

·
Mopar owner since 1977
1,204 Posts
The plug doesnt transfer heat to the head but determines how much heat from ignition is transfered to the head. If you change the paremeters of the air fuel mixture, you may need to change the plugs heat range to keep the cylinder head temp constant. The cool thing is, you can have a "cool" engine ( water temp) with a "cold plug" as long as that head temp is constant. And that is determined by a host of other factors.

I agree one should investigate other possibilities if detonation or pinging is heard before swapping plugs, especially on a stock or near stock engine. If you put in a colder T-stat and plugs and the truck still pings, you have other issues. BTW, detonation is much different from pinging, and you should learn the difference.

BTW I've been running Champion truck plugs since thier introduction.

Have a good new year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.