DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Now Hemiplus
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Viper e-fan last week and hadn't posted anything about it on DT yet so here is my install pics. I'm slowly making my way to the engine. I just have to find it first. From the passenger side, you can not even see the engine. The shaker covers most of it, but the intake, fan shroud and overflow tanks cover the rest. To help clean this up I decided to go with an electric fan that I've been putting off for two years now and go shroudless. I am now in the process of building an intake that is built into the shaker.
Here is what I started with.

Here is my new electric fan.

Here are the stock tanks.

Here is my new overflow tank.

Here is the stock fan and shroud removed.

Here is where the new tanks will go.

I built a frame for the fan out of 3/4 inch square aluminum tubing. I was going to have a couple guys at work weld it for me but I got sick and haven't been to work in over a week so I used L-brackets.

Here is the radiator with the stock shroud removed and the mechanical fan gone.

Here's how the frame sits on the radiator.

Fan on the frame mocked up.

I'm using an FK-60 controller to control the electric fan operation. I bent up a bracket at work a couple weeks ago out of some scrape stainless steel they had laying around.

I painted the bracket flat black and mounted the FK-60. This thing will pretty much be out of site. The wire pigtail I made for connecting to the fan is done in this picture.

I painted the frame for the fan flat black as well.

The fan and controller are installed and the wiring is finished up.

I painted the tank brackets black.

Here's the brackets mounted on the tank.

And here is the tank in it's permanent location.

I fired the truck up and everything is working like a champ. I still need to do the windshield washer tank but that isn't needed to drive the truck so no hurry there. I may pull the tank out to be powder coated in the future if I have something else that needs to be done. Look at all the room in there.
Post up and let me know what you think. I'm working on the intake now.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
Damn that looks awesome man! Great Job!

·
Absolutely
6,742 Posts
Looks good, just wondering why you have to have another air intake with the shaker hood. i thought that nose piece funnelled air into the TB already?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Thanks for your contribution 360 PLUS, great information, as I've mentioned before, this is one mod I have the parts for, just not the time. Now for my question, why dont you use the factory bottles/jugs ? Can't a bracket be made so they can re-attach ?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Looks really good.
You spent a lot of time on it and it shows.
i wonder if you can put a pressure cap on your overflow just in case.

·
RamFever
601 Posts
Nice write up with pics, I also have my Viper fan and FK60 sitting around trying to get the nerve to try and install. This was so good I had to add a comment, again nice and clean install!

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
tight

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
very nice. reminds me of mine. Any reason for the 3/4 instead of the 1 inch tube? Not that it really matters since either one works.
That is a nice Canton overflow. I may have to upgrade mine when i have the money.

here is mine.. http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197068

Bill

·
Now Hemiplus
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nickd907 said:
Looks good, just wondering why you have to have another air intake with the shaker hood. i thought that nose piece funnelled air into the TB already?
The Shaker does not funnel air into the intake, but it will when I'm done. What it does is funnel air into ducting that leads to the air filter which is in the same factory location.

ultimate ram said:
Thanks for your contribution 360 PLUS, great information, as I've mentioned before, this is one mod I have the parts for, just not the time. Now for my question, why dont you use the factory bottles/jugs ? Can't a bracket be made so they can re-attach ?
The Factory bottles are molded in a fashiong that they sit on top the factory shroud. I wanted a very clean look and got rid of the shroud. A bracket could be built to reuse the bottles but they are huge, ugly, and of very odd dimensions.

catsltd said:
Looks really good.
You spent a lot of time on it and it shows.
i wonder if you can put a pressure cap on your overflow just in case.
No need for a pressure cap on the overflow. It is vented to atmoshpere just like the factory one is.

Daytona1445 said:
very nice. reminds me of mine. Any reason for the 3/4 instead of the 1 inch tube? Not that it really matters since either one works.
That is a nice Canton overflow. I may have to upgrade mine when i have the money.

here is mine.. http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197068

Bill
I used 3/4 inch tubing because that is exactly how far the radiator sides stick out from the fins, as if I flush mounted it. If you look at your link, I mentioned the 3/4 vs. 1 inch tubing a couple times (post 13 and 20).

·
Banned
3,852 Posts
Looks really good man! Nice Clean install. I got lazy with mine and just mounted it to the stock shroud.....after seeing this you got me re-thinking things...LOL!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sharp looking install. But what does this mod help with? HP and MPG?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've seen a few of these installs so far and I'm wondering why you build a frame instead of using the radiator push thru's? They come with most e-fans. I used then on 2 high HP Bmw's and never had an issue.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Ok, one more question, how many feet of 3/4" tubing did you use, now that I've seen the pic's I guess its my turn to get off my a$$ and get this mod done ! Thanks, Steve

·
or no car
1,269 Posts
if your wondering what to do about the winshield wiper fluid bottle, i bought this one on ebay for about 20 bucks. its just a universal tank that you can easily drill out openings to fit the stock washer pump and level indicator. the pic below shows them installed. i beleive its a quart capacity and actually plenty big i rarely have to fill it. just a thought. very clean install btw!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.