DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Meet Hemi!!
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we got the old 426 out today and swapped over all the parts on to the new 426.....tomorrow we are going to finish up the install....heres a few pics....more tomorrow night.....:rck:

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
If only I had the time and money.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Who's who in the pics?

·
Meet Hemi!!
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW Todd and I checked the Clearance of the piston and cyl wall at TDC, I was shocked to say the least. Measurement was 40 thousands on every cyl. Question is how can a piston slapping 426 run 11.60 N/A in a 5000 lbs truck with no KR or audible engine knock........LOL

Answer real aluminum expands and forged pistons needs room to grow....

·
Had 392.. Now.. LS2 GTO!!
4,362 Posts
wait a second...

the engine you took out was a 426?

now u are putting a new 426 in? what the hell was wrong with the fisrt one?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
BTW Todd and I checked the Clearance of the piston and cyl wall at TDC, I was shocked to say the least. Measurement was 40 thousands on every cyl. Question is how can a piston slapping 426 run 11.60 N/A in a 5000 lbs truck with no KR or audible engine knock........LOL

Answer real aluminum expands and forged pistons needs room to grow....
I guess I would say it like. This piston design has such and such taper at the top.

All pistons are smaller at the top. No matter the type of aluminum. Piston rattle comes from excesive piston to cylinder wall clearence. Measured at the skirt(per manufaturer,, they vary on where they want you to measure at) That measurement will also vary by type of material used for the piston. Each material type has different thermal expantion rates.

I just installed a set in a 540 hemi. the top of the piston is .080 smaller then the skirt diameter. So,,, if you rocked the piston in the bore,,, you could get ..160 piston to wall, by looking at the top. Not an accurate judge of piston to wall clearence.

I 2nd the question,,, what was wrong with the "old" 426.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Looks like fun guys , I don't see any beer in the pictures though.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
wow that jeep must run like a striped @ss ape. Who sells the 426 and is it about 7.0 liters? Whats the borte & stroke of that beast?

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Yeah that thing must run hard

·
Meet Hemi!!
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wait a second...

the engine you took out was a 426?

now u are putting a new 426 in? what the hell was wrong with the fisrt one?
The first one is an Arrington with K1 set up and the new one has a light weight rotating assy.... Do I know what the difference between the two is, Yes but I can't say just yet....:secret2: LOL

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.