DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some BNIB 2500 OEM tow hooks on craigslist for $85.00, so I decided to give installing them a shot. Many thanks to TrueCowboy426 for some tips on how he did his. My 2004 setup was a bit different from his, but I got them installed OK. Note this is NOT a plug and play install - I had to cut and drill the brackets (thick metal!), drill some new holes in the bumper bracket, and finally dremel out some holes in that plastic insert, but they are on, look great and are STRONG. As usual I snapped many pics, so if anyone is interested in a "how I did it" let me know.

Attachments

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Gray that looks sweet; Nice Job!

:D

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
gary another great job

loco

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
Nice,.. where did you get that insert, my truck doesn't have one?

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice,.. where did you get that insert, my truck doesn't have one?
Hey Mud - it was already installed on my 2004 - I just popped it off, dremeled out the holes and popped it back in. Well ... popped is not the best word - there are those annoying plastic inserts that hold it in and you have to be careful pulling out the center pins so you can re-use them ;)

Note that I have heard that the 06+ bumper brackets are way different (crumple zones or something) and I am not sure how hard it would be to make these work.

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
I guess I don't have the insert because the 2006+ tow hooks are different which i had to cover the hole,.. Might have to call the dealership and find out about getting one from a truck with no tow hooks,.. I hate the hole in mine currently.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Thanks here another mod I must spend money on.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys - it was a bit annoying since I do not have very good tools for metal fabrication, but you make do I guess. It is hard to tell from the pics, but for those who have not seen these in person they really are beefy hooks (rings??) and are about 6" wide. Below is a shot of one with my hand as a reference (my hands are not huge however :D).

tctwg said:
Thanks here another mod I must spend money on.
Just doin' my DT duty :gr_patrio

Attachments

·
DirtRunner TreeDragger
895 Posts
VEry well done job there.
And looks slick.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wish I knew u were looking for hooks. When they put my plow on, my hooks came off, brackets also....... I have them in a box somehere. They are pretty beefy. I'm thinking of welding them on to my jeep ...... I'd like to have to hooks somewhere on the front of my ram though..

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish I knew u were looking for hooks. When they put my plow on, my hooks came off, brackets also....... I have them in a box somehere. They are pretty beefy. I'm thinking of welding them on to my jeep ...... I'd like to have to hooks somewhere on the front of my ram though..
Well, I have been casually looking for hooks for my 1500, but I was not in a hurry and I was not set on 2500 hooks. I just happened to find the 2500 hooks for sale on craigslist, so I searched here, and from what I could tell they could be "made" to work, but it was not clear how hard that would be. I just said what the hey since even new 1500 hooks were more than $85.00 and I liked the looks of these.

On the bright side, maybe someone might be more willing to buy yours now, right ;)

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Thanks again ggravant for this thread, I really cant wait till I install my 2500 tow hooks now.

·
I'm Broke..
3,614 Posts
Nice job Gary.. Looks factory.:tup:

·
dodge this
269 Posts
Looks good they work real well. Have had to use mine and they are the real deal looks good.

·
Registered
966 Posts
How did you modify them to work? I really want to put a set of 2500 hooks on my 06' 1500...

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How did you modify them to work? I really want to put a set of 2500 hooks on my 06' 1500...
Well, as I mentioned, the 06+ bumper brackets are different, so I can not say that what I did would work for you. So with that in mind, here are a few pics and descriptions:

This shows the existing holes in my bracket. Only the one in the upper left about in the correct position - three other holes need to be drilled:

I only worked one side at a time (I never removed the bumper) to minimize movement of the bracket. I also put a piece of wood under the bumper to keep it from dropping at least until I could guestimate where all the holes should be drilled. I also marked where the bracket was on the frame before I loosened the frame bolts in the event that if it dropped, I could push it back up and continue with measurements.

I then removed the frame bolts so I could figure out where the holes in the bumper bracket should go. I then marked the location for the three holes, using the existing holes to get some straight lines (they were about and inch over and up from the ref lines):

The lower left hole was fine, but the two right ones were a pain because they were so close to the existing holes. Had to do a bit of grinding/hacking to get those holes finished (a round file would have been nice):

Then I picked up a 10" metal cutting blade for my small miter saw and cut off 1 5/8" off the bottom of each bracket:

I also had to notch the corner of the two inside brackets, then drilled two 5/8" holes that matched up with the holes on the frame. I was glad I had one of those small benchtop drill presses since the brackets are pretty thick Here is the passenger side set after cutting the bottom, notching one of them and drilling the holes:

I then did the same for the other set of brackets then tried to install them. The holes were not perfect, so some tweaking of the holes (more oval) was sometimes needed. Once all the bolts were in, I snugged up the four nuts for each hook, but kept the two bolts in the frame loose. I then had to tweak the alignment of the bumper a bit on each side, then tightened every thing down. Here is a top view with the hood open of the passenger side bracket (you can see where I had to notch it):

After that I just held up the plastic insert about where it would install and marked where the hooks would push through. I then gradually made the hole larger as I kept holding the insert up against the hook. I used a dremel with a coarse cylindrical sanding disk on it to chew away at the plastic. Warning - the plastic melts and becomes hotter than the surface of the sun and will drip on your thumb, thigh, ankle, etc ;)

Hope this helps ...

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Nicely done Bro. :tup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.