DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully, I got the right truck. She's pretty much stripped but has power windows/locks, good stereo with sirius and a few other features. I really only wanted one thing and that's the new Hemi. This truck has the 5.7 Hemi and the 3.92 Anti-Spin Axle. So, I think she's going to be fast. Certainly feels sporty.... I just sold my 06 2500 Cummins and this 09 drives like a Caddy in comparison! So, does anyone have any track experience with one of these things? I'm wondering what the quarter is looking like for the options I have... Can I hang with a stock tundra and a stock sierra denali?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
congrats!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Congrats on your new rig and we like pics here.

·
Getting my life back!
945 Posts
yup we need pics!

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
With the 3.92s it will probably hang in there with a tundra, but most likely edged out in the end unless you can get rid of torque management.

Also, according to the Engineer Q/A event here, the dodge engineers said the 390HP/407 ft-lbs was achieved with 87 octane. The engine will detect less pinging with higher grades, run more timing and give you more power. So if your going to race, even stock, run it almost empty and fill it with the highest grade you can get your hands on.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Congrats!
Now you have to upgrade your signature. (along with pics)
Personally,I really like the looks of the '09. If it was in the budget, I would have one.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
I think it beat the tundra in the 1/4 but the GM twins 6.2 just edged it out. Pickuptrucks.com still has the article up on the main page if you want to read it. It will hang with them though if you have the 3.92. If you got the RT Ram you will smoke them both.:D:D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Congrats on the new truck. We do need some pics though... :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I hear you!!!!! Pics Attached!

She's the ugly truckling....RIGHT NOW!

Here is my short list of mods....

Wheels, a must given the stock crap I bought! They do ride nice though....

http://www.kmcwheels.com/html_pages/xdseries.html I'm thinking about something like the "HOSS" in 18s or 20s. Thinking 20s with 305/50/20.... Like the "Monster" too.... Either way, in BLACK!

Limo tint over factory tint on back windows, legal on front sides....

DE-BADGE!

I would consider doing something with the grill....maybe like this.... http://rollingbigpower.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=25_69&products_id=162 (RX One Piece) However, not this exactly, that price is ridiculous!

Magnaflow cat-back - There doesn't seem to be an abundance of aftermarket exhausts out there...but the stock one is SO quiet! Want noise and performance for sure.

CAI - Does one even exist?

Programming - Not a huge fan of handhelds....but what choice do we have....

What other performance mods will there be?

Other things I might do....maybe change up the bumper. Paint it black? Put the Sport bumper cover on?

I might even change the headlights when the aftermarkets hit....

Any other ideas for my Blacken'd Sleeper?

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pricing

MSRP was ~$30,300

Rebates $5,500

Dealer Discount $3,027

Total Price $21,773

For those of you that want to know....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fuel?

The comment was made in the post that I could do better against the Tundra if I used high octane fuel....

My choices locally are 87, 89 and 93. I only buy top tier fuels. Dodge recommends 89....so what is to gain with going 93? In fact, the use of premium is not recommended in the manual. Some of the cars with hemis recommend 91, but I don't see too much difference between the engines. I'm happy to put 93 octane in the RAM, but am I doing any damage? I run in the heat a lot down here in Texas....

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
126 Posts
congrats,welcome to the club

·
Registered
133 Posts
Those stock wheels are one of the smartest things i've seen :~)

So many peole pay for the aluminum factory wheels only to take them off and go after market!

Smart move Bro!

·
Registered
154 Posts
The comment was made in the post that I could do better against the Tundra if I used high octane fuel....

My choices locally are 87, 89 and 93. I only buy top tier fuels. Dodge recommends 89....so what is to gain with going 93? In fact, the use of premium is not recommended in the manual. Some of the cars with hemis recommend 91, but I don't see too much difference between the engines. I'm happy to put 93 octane in the RAM, but am I doing any damage? I run in the heat a lot down here in Texas....
The only way you need more octane is if you are losing timing advance due to knock retard. Problem is with knock sensors you probably will never hear any audible pinging. Without some sort of data logging program you can't monitor it to see what is going on. I have a data logger for my SRT8 but it's just a program available because I have a Predator. There are no tuners available for these trucks and as long as it took for Diablo to release a tuner for the 08 and older trucks I wouldn't hold your breath either. I imagine the factory advance curve is pretty lame so it probably won't easily knock on 87 and for sure not on 89. My SRT as an example only achieved roughly 20 degrees at WOT with the stock tune in place. That is what the curve was set for as well because I wasn't losing anything to detonation. I imagine with the compression ratio being nearly the same on these Rams as my car it's no big stretch to say the advance curve won't be very agressive. I have a 2009 Ram as well and want some stuff for it but I think for now it's pretty limited while the aftermarket plays catchup. Because of the LX cars we will get hard parts but the tuning is the big thing. Diablo seems to be the only real option for tuning other than SCT(not superchips, different company). Time will tell I suppose.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.