DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Big Green
8,340 Posts
It does if you are able to keep your foot under control and not use the new power. The first are usually intake and exhaust get them both free flowing and your power will go up slightly.

· ******* Yankee
2,570 Posts
elliottcarlose said:
It does if you are able to keep your foot under control and not use the new power. The first are usually intake and exhaust get them both free flowing and your power will go up slightly.
That's what I did along with a programmer and my power really went up but my MPG went down. I can't keep my foot out of it. It's too much fun to drive now and it sounds awesome. :rck:

· Registered
572 Posts
performance parts wont help your gas mileage if you are using the performance parts for any performance gain.
its give and take- gain in one area and take from the other.

· Registered
572 Posts
dodgepower21 said:
more power equals better mpg.
I am pretty sure this statement is FALSE.

· Urban Wheeler
412 Posts
nocturnalsst said:
Not entirely. Mileage is a function of work done by the engine. If the engine can do less work, it could see better mileage. Unfortunately, many performance parts also demand greater fuel consumption for this performance.

· Creature Of The Wheel
8,879 Posts
The best thing I've heard to do is the exhaust first (muff, cat, headers & all) & then a better air cleaner. But if you got the cash get a cam after the exhaust & air cleaner is done & then get a flash and gears. I've heard alot of good about the gears & the B&G flash, those two will prolly run you around $1500.

Good to get the mainly cheap stuff done first (plugs, t-stat, muff, cat, exh. tips, plug wires, air cleaner, cap/rotor, headers, oil change, blaster coil, plenum repaired(if leaking) & if that don't satisfy you then do more.

how do you like your hypertech wirenutt? I emailed superchips and they said 18hp & 30ftlbs of tq at the wheels. And the hypertech site says 11 hp & 18ftlbs of tq, but is the diff in price worth the extra 7HP &12ftlbs of tq, if those numbers are even true...

· Registered
256 Posts
I've already got exhaust done on my truck, waiting till after x-mas to get some headers to go along with them. Also trying to decided which air cleaner to get. The next purchase I make is probably going to be the Firepower Ignition Kit, one of my friends has it on his '01 5.2 and it made a pretty good change.

Which do you guys think is the best air cleaner set up for the 5.9?

· ******* Yankee
2,570 Posts
JonRoc said:
how do you like your hypertech wirenutt? I emailed superchips and they said 18hp & 30ftlbs of tq at the wheels. And the hypertech site says 11 hp & 18ftlbs of tq, but is the diff in price worth the extra 7HP &12ftlbs of tq, if those numbers are even true...
I love it. The gains were great. If you look at the dyno chart at the Hypertech web site it shows the max gains for a '99 to be 9hp at the wheels. For an '01 it shows a 21hp gain. I think that's part of the reason why you get so many different opinions on how good Hypertech is. I'm sure Superchips are the same way. It depends on the year.

· Registered
552 Posts
dont get a prgrammer, its stupid. as said before speed density isnt a ggeneric system like mass air. custom tunes and tuneingit yourself work way better.

· Creature Of The Wheel
8,879 Posts
if i knew someone in Tn that could tune it I would let them, I don't wanna have to send it in the mail across the country & be without a truck for days like if i sent it to B&G.

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
JonRoc said:
if i knew someone in Tn that could tune it I would let them, I don't wanna have to send it in the mail across the country & be without a truck for days like if i sent it to B&G.
having to bum a ride to work & be without my truck for a couple days was well worth it.
The gains you might see from handheld devices greatly depends on what you are starting with (i.e. deathflash).
Those websites post up the best possible outcome.
After using a PP III I can say without a doubt they don't hold a candle to a custom flash, for a 97 non death-flashed year model at least.

· Creature Of The Wheel
8,879 Posts
i don't even know where to start when it comes to sending my pcm off to B&G. I'm afraid of even unplugging it out. If I knew exactly everything involved I would consider it, but for someone like me (don't know that much about engines...pay others to do it for me...lol), it seems like i'd need to read up alot. I'll check out his site and email him.

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
JonRoc said:
i don't even know where to start when it comes to sending my pcm off to B&G. I'm afraid of even unplugging it out. If I knew exactly everything involved I would consider it, but for someone like me (don't know that much about engines...pay others to do it for me...lol), it seems like i'd need to read up alot. I'll check out his site and email him.

all BS aside, it consists of disconnecting you battery, unplugging the harness from the PCM, and removing 3 screws.
Trust me, if you can use a socket set you could do it. :tup:

Once you get it back, reverse the procedure.

Level of difficulty is up there with changing the air filter. :D

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
nocturnalsst said:
I agree with some of what 89smurf said.

The more efficient an engine is the more power it will produce AND said engine will have to exert less power to perform same amount of work.

There are some circumstances where this is not true, like nitrous for instance...but most bolt-ons will increase both MPG and peak power output.

I am now getting better MPG than when my vehicle was stock, because simply put, it's functioning at a more efficient level.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.