Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

First post, first time dodge owner. I live in the foothills of CO and have a '05 1500 4.7 auto 4X4. Purchased it used back in '08.

I am very happy with my truck except for one thing: the performance I see when driving in the "hills" of CO is notwhat I would expect. Going up hill, the engine lags to the point it noticeably slows down, without the tranny downshifting.

The only way to maintain the same speed is to press the gas until the transmission downshifts into I am guessing d2 and the engine is revving in the 3.5-4k range. Very annoying to constantly be riding the throttle to keep the revs up in that range only to be passed by yugos.

I talked to the service manager at the dealership where I purchased the truck, his response is use the "towing" option to keep the transmission in a lower gear. Not much difference.

The truck is completely stock, no air intake mods, high-flow muffler, etc.

Since this is my first dodge truck, is this normal? If so, what might I do to improve performance...air intake, etc. If not, what might it be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
mine downshifts on hills too but 3.5 to 4 seems quite high maybe 2.5 to 3 on a very steep hill
3.55 or 3.92s the gears suck in these trucks
oh and welcome to DT post some pics and put your specs in your sig it makes things go easy so you dont have to say what you drive everytime you post

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
I have a 4.7L here is Colorado, but I got 4.56 gears put in not long after I bought it used because of some rear end diff retaining clip problems. I also have a manual tranny, so I can shift whenever I see fit.

In general, I can see how with 3.55 gears and everything else stock how you truck would be doing that. Upgrading the gears would help, but it is not cheap. I think a superchips tuner might be worth a try since it supports our 04-07 4.7L trucks now.

There are lots of other mods that one at a time would not be much of a performance difference, but the sum of all of them is a pretty good combo. Not a Hemi by any means, but a better daily driver.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.