DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rebuilt my engine here a while ago and installed a new cam. The packaging said I required a different computer. So I got what was supposed to be A Mopar Performance PCM but I think I got ripped off because it doesnt make any difference between the stock one and this one. The engine tends to not stay idling properly and it has a misfire every once in a while while I'm driving. So does anyone know if it would be possible to put in a 5.9L ECM or if i got an ECM off of a newer model so it be possible to reflash it? Or if this would even make a difference?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the 5.9 ECM would definitely not work? Or a newer model ECM in a 5.2? The old style 5.2 are internal that why I'd like to switch to something else. It's supposed to cost me aeround $800 just to get it flashed.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
have to get a reflash as 5.9 are externally balanced i believe and 5.2 are internally
what relavence does this have to his question?? He is talking about the PCM, not the rotating assembly.

The difference is if you have OBD-I or OBD-II.
I would go with a SCT Tuner if it's an option for what you have.
If not B&G does good work, I am still running their flash on my 97, although it's a little lean as I haven't had it updated in a while.

edit: and I don't know who quoted you $800, but a custom flash was $400-something at B&G the last time I checked.

·
Registered
300 Posts
for pcm purposes im pretty sure it matters if it is a 5.2 or 5.9 and i think your best bet would be to get the flash, dont think SCT goes back that far for your truck

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
B&G said I would be about $650. It would be around $400 for anything '96 and up I think. So I guess my only option would be flashing it then. The mopar performance PCM's are almost impossible to find for that year.

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
B&G said I would be about $650. It would be around $400 for anything '96 and up I think. So I guess my only option would be flashing it then. The mopar performance PCM's are almost impossible to find for that year.
Guess yours is OBD-I ? I thought they switched over in 94, but I guess it was 95 they switched.

·
bigdodge00
61 Posts
i have the same problem with my 95 5.9. i just put too big cam in it for the stock computer to handle. i found a guy in california that specializes in dodge computers, he said he can do it for $450 and then retune it free if im not happy. once i get mine done, if i like it i will send out his info.

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
The setup in an OBD-I controls spark & fuel, I'm guessing it's the spark you're having trouble with?
The fuel sync can be adjusted with a snap-on tool and rotating the distributor.

When you say 'too big of a cam' are you referring to the LSA, or lack thereof (overlap)?
If you can find a good vacuum source to relocate you MAP sensor to, and possibly adjust the idle up to around 800-1000 that should fix the low vac problem.

If it's a timing issue, the only option is reflash unfortunately.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What part of California is he in? does he dyno tune or just do generic flashes based on mods?

I'm very interested, I have put off doing mods to my truck because the only tuners are so far away.

i have the same problem with my 95 5.9. i just put too big cam in it for the stock computer to handle. i found a guy in california that specializes in dodge computers, he said he can do it for $450 and then retune it free if im not happy. once i get mine done, if i like it i will send out his info.

·
bigdodge00
61 Posts
sorry ive ben in a pinch with $$$ for a while, havent ben able to work on the truck any. i lost contact with the guy in cal. i will see if i can find his info again. but i think im gonna try to go with a stand alone system instead of the reflash. if i can find the info i will post back and let you know

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.