DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me figure out some mods for my 05 D? I've only had it a about a month and already need more power. I've got the 4.7 and it's painfully slow. I don't want to reduce my fuel economy, but want a little more power. RPMOutlet.com has a kit for around 500 with a CAI, TBS, and tuner or chip. It claims to give 39 or 46 RWHP. depending on which one I get. I was also wondering if anyone knows of any superchargers/turbos for the 4.7. I've looked on the net, but can't find any. Thanks

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
There's a lot of debate on these forums about what will work for bolt on mods. The general consensus is that a TBS will do nothing for you. The big debate is over the CAI's. Some people say they feel the difference, some don't. Science tells us that since our D's have a speed density system instead of a mass air flow in the intake, the extra air that a CAI pumps into the engine is wasted.

Personally, I have a TBS because I got a good price on it and I'm too lazy to take my intake apart again to take it off. It doesn't do anything for me. My CAI doesn't do much for me either besides make the engine sound cooler when I rev it. It may give me a couple HP but nothing you can really feel. Hyper Tech does make a tuner for your D. That may be the best mod you could get. Stay clear of the Jet chip. Many people have actually lost horsepower by installing them. The fact of the matter is that the 2Gen D is seen as a grocery getter and there is hardly anything out there for mods because the D doesn't share very much with the Ram or the Dakota.

If you get the Stage 1 kit that rpmoutlet sells, the only possible good item is the CAI. The Stage 2 kit has the CAI and maybe the tuner. I haven't heard much about that tuner. I guarantee that if you get either kit, you won't get 39-46 HP. ;) I would estimate 5 HP with the stage 1 kit and at least 20 HP with the stage 2 depending on what the tuner does for you.

Truthfully, the best way to get another 100HP and have the same fuel economy is to have a 5.7 hemi. Again, these are my opinions. I'm sure someone else will chime in to agree or disagree.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I think that with the higher gear your rpm will be higher and your gas mileage will drop.I don't know much about these thing but check it out for yourself.Do your homework.

·
Registered
193 Posts
nitrous is a good choice if done right....used nitrous for 10 years and never once blown a motor.

·
Registered
193 Posts
cberger62 said:
Word on the street says that the 4.7 and nitrous have "explosive results." good luck with it. :)

too much nitrous and a bad set-up does that....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey guys, newb to the site. Check out GS Motorsports for supercharger apps for Dodge vehicles. I know they have a Durango HEMI application.
If your interested, hit me up as i a reseller of their products.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I think that with the higher gear your rpm will be higher and your gas mileage will drop.I don't know much about these thing but check it out for yourself.Do your homework.
depends on how it's geared to begin with.
4.11s will help out in town as it takes less throttle to move it from a stop.
On the highway, it will only raise the RPMs by about 300-500 rpms. Mine turns 2100 @ 70 in o.d.
Don't know if the Rams & Durango's have the same gearing in the trannys though.
My MPG went from 11 to 13 city and 14 to 16 highway with the gear swap (3.55 swapped for 4.11s)

·
Special "ED"
118 Posts
Who makes a tuner?? and is it a tuner for DD and then flip of a switch for towing?? if so that might be the key for me,

or just transplant a cumming in it :)

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Who makes a tuner?? and is it a tuner for DD and then flip of a switch for towing?? if so that might be the key for me,

or just transplant a cumming in it
I don't recommend tuners because they are not as effective as a flash due to the fact that they change what the PCM sees, not the parameters it operates in.

Since the Durango is still under warranty then a tuner may be the best option for you as a tuner will not void the warranty and a PCM flash will.

Hypertech makes a Power Programmer III, it has 2 different options for fuel, change tire size, adjust tranny shifting...pretty nice to customize your vehicles operation. But don't think you are going to plug it in and instantly get 15 more hp.

If you're not worried about the warranty, then I would get a flash ($350), more power gains, no torque management.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an '04 4.7L Durango, I installed a K&N CAI and replaced the stock muffler/resonator with larger piping (from Cat) and Flow Master muffler 2 years ago. I gained some hP and make a lot more noise. It took a while to get used the "exhaust dump" sound when shifting under heavy acceleration, and the constant drone @ hiway speeds gets a little annoying.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.