DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Off Roader
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 w150 with the 5.2 magnum engine. I would like to know what i can do for some more power. The truck has 33's on it right now and i am working on putting 4.56 gears in it right now. I am already going to put an air cleaner on it and dual exhaust. The truck currently has hooker headers and y-pipe on it. I was looking at maybe getting a jet stage 2 module, underdrive crank pulley, tb spacer, a mopar performance single plane intake, a comp cam, and possibly a set of roller rockers. I have thought about putting an older carbed 360 in but i would like the f.i. for the winter. Does anyone know what all i can do without messing the computer up? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Off Roader
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
multi-port

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Ahh, you have a "whole array" of performance options via your computer. You can increase the fueling parameters of the computer by adopting a "piggyback" module or getting a new computer altogether. Of course a cold air kit, exhaust, cam, intake, ect can be utilized for even more gains. Have you tried www.manciniracing.com for parts? I would ask the friendly guys/gals over on the 92 up dodge truck section for their software companies they utilize if M.P. doesnt offer any software upgrades. Your stock computer can "add" some fuel but not the volume you need for substantial gains. Remember you have a heavy vehicle and need torque! High RPM H.P. wont do you much good unless you spend most of your time at 5k RPM's, most trucks dont. :D

·
Off Roader
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info :rck: ...are you saying ask the people on this forum about a computer or do you mean asking the people at mancini racing?

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Both, I am not sure if MoPar perf. offers computer upgrades, however there are upgrades available from the aftermarket if they dont offer one. The other MoPar bros. on the newer truck forums surely know where to get one. You dont want to add all the parts and burn a hole in the piston or burn the exhaust valve/seat cause it's way to lean. Keep the plugs checked to make sure they arent white(the insulator),and running to lean. Lean is Mean! Good luck and when it's time to get serious, remember the 4" stroker crank gives you the torque you really need cause the engine gets much larger. 370-380 cubes from a 318 sound good? The stroker crank for 349.00 from mancini gives it to you! A larger engine makes more torque. Good Luck, Eddie

·
Off Roader
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think mopar discontinued their performance computers but krc performance might have one. Would i be better off with one of these or an aftermarket one like jet or somthing? I am also looking into getting a fastman TB, they seem to be worth it.

·
Off Roader
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok...so now i heard from someone that the newer stock 360's from the 97's, 98's, 99's have much more power than my 92 318. I always thought that the 318s and 360s were all about the same. He also said that the 360 would work with all my computer stuff. I would think that all the 360's computer stuff would have to be put in also. Does anyone know if this works or not? Would i be better off getting a newer running 360 from a junkyard and putting a cam and some of that stuff on that or just doing that stuff to my 318?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
If you want to put a 360 in, you will need a 360 ECM....they are different.

·
Off Roader
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is it even worth my time to find one and do the conversion or should i just rebuild my 318?

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
91ShelbyDaytona said:
is it even worth my time to find one and do the conversion or should i just rebuild my 318?
You mean to get a Crate engine then tune it according to your specs, such as carb/fuel injection, camshaft, ignition? or simply yank the 318 then pay to have the block machined, new everything except the machined block,)cause you'll need it to get the equivalent power of a crate 5.9 or crate stroker 408), then the heads, valvetrain ect.. the stroker would be much cheaper and since it's based on the 360/5.9 block will have good sized bores for unshrouded valves, 2.02 valves on a 318 bores are nominal at best the cylinder walls shroud the intake valve and torque and there power is 'peaky', the 360/5.9 block is the way to go. Here's an idea if your a do it yourselfer, buy the 408 stroker shortblock if MoPar still offers it, and build the engine your way. However it would not be difficult to remove the cam or have a reputable engine builder like Hensley Racing, Dave Hughes, Ray Barton or Best Machine build you a stroker that would make as much or more power than the M.P. crate motors and be price competitive. Another idea is the new Hemi, the prices are dropping gradually and that motor has way more potential than the 5.9 5.2 due to it's heads flowing almost 300 CFM out of the box. The 5.9's flow 220 approx. The Gen III Hemi also fits your tansmission with simple adapter and can run carb or FI. :D

·
Off Roader
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i am not planning on gettting that serious, i just want to keep the fuel injection and it is my daily driver so i want it to be a little reliable. If i wanted to build a big power motor i would buy my brothers older 360, all rebuilt with forged pistons, forged rods and new crank, ported heads that flow 300-flowed by an s&s dyno engineer, harland sharp roller rockers, Comp cam, edelbrock intake, holley carb, msd dist :rck: ... I was originally just going to put that motor in but i want the reliability of the fuel injection and still get a little fuel mileage. Right now i am deciding between rebuilding my 318 or rebuilding a newer 360. Either one will be fuel injected. I just want it to be able to take some abuse for a reasonable amount of money. I was looking at putting a bigger oil pan on for sure to help keep everything oiled during the high rpms while toying in the snow and mud. :D Then just the simple mods said above like the module, cam, underdrive, maybe intake, and a throttle body.

So basically i am asking what is a better motor to put in with these mods? Is it worth my money and time to get a 360 or will the 318 be pretty close to the same amount of power.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
I would go with the 5.9 360. It gives you more torque right out of the box. With a Beer barrel intake ala The Truck Magnum it will make 50-75 lb. ft. more torque at low speeds which any truck needs,than the 5.2 which is a great little motor, but always go with the bigger cubes for more torque and it fits right in, the flexplate will have to change due to the different weight balance, MoPar Performance makes em and the passenger side mounter mount may or may not require a small spacer in the motor mount lug, On trucks I'm not sure, on cars the spacer was a no biggie simple spacer to take up the slack left there by the smaller lug on the 318's block. You will need the computer from a 5.9 dodge truck with the same transmission. Fairly easy low cost swap. www.hughesengines.com has a lot of parts as you described for sale and even make a 426 magnum stroker kit for the ultimate Truck hi-Torque motor using the factory 5.9 block. They even have a redisgned F.I. intake using the eddies air gap and the factory computer and throttle body, it surley makes more power but also moves it upstairs. :rck:

·
Registered
570 Posts
As Eddie has stated there is no easier way to build power and torque than diplacement. If I were you I would go with the 5.9 and do a 4" stroker crank the cast kits are fairly cheap. You could install a set of Magnum RT heads with 2.02 valves run 9.5 compression and a cam with 112-114 degree valve seperation so that you keep good vacuum for the FI system and you would have a torque monster,which is what our trucks need. I know that I am saying the same thing as Eddie cause he's right. If those mods are out of the question then I would atleast go with the 5.9 you should notice a big difference.

·
Off Roader
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That hughes performance place has a lot of parts! I think i will get a used 360 from the junkyard and get a ecm and new flexplate, then rebuild it back to stock, except a cam, springs, intake, fastman throttle body, underdrive, comp. re-calibration. Does anyone know what tranny i have and if there is any years of 360's that had the same tranny so i know what year of computer to get? thanks for the info so far...

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
91ShelbyDaytona said:
That hughes performance place has a lot of parts! I think i will get a used 360 from the junkyard and get a ecm and new flexplate, then rebuild it back to stock, except a cam, springs, intake, fastman throttle body, underdrive, comp. re-calibration. Does anyone know what tranny i have and if there is any years of 360's that had the same tranny so i know what year of computer to get? thanks for the info so far...
On the junkyard 360 Magnum engine. Keep in mind if you decide to completely re-build that 360/5.9 you can use a new MoPar perf. 4" crank for only 299.00-350.00 then you would have a 408 stroker, fuel injected, makes Big block torque, actually improves mileage if you can control your right foot. Mates right up with the transmission motor mounts ect..Hughes makes the engine kits ect..

·
Off Roader
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i would but then dont i have to use a longer rod and special pistons? I am still wondering about my tranny and what computer to use though.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
From what I have read so far, I think you want to incresethe power with bolt ons. no problem, first you are going to move the power band up on that 318, and you may not like it there when it comes to towing or when the truck is loaded down with additional weight. Bolt ons like exhaust, bigger T.B., ported heads, bigger cam move the power band up, rpm's is what makes H.P. you should be more concerned with torque, therefore I wouldnt recommend anything other than the FIPK air inlet filter and a good flowing exhaust system. Then one day when you want to get more serious I would save for a stroker kit. The pistons are much shorter, the crank as a longer throw divided by 1/2 each way, the rods remain at 6.123 length. Also if you use some of the perofrmance based computers you might have to run premium fuel all the time beacause Chrysler 5.2/5.9 Magnums dont use a knock sensor to retard timing.

·
Off Roader
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im not going to be hauling too much with this truck...just maybe light trailer or a four wheeler or sled. My brother has a modded duramax that i will use to haul anything big. This truck is more for mudding, having fun in the snow, screwing around, might pull it once or twice in the stock class, but it still is my daily driver. Last night i got stuck in the middle of a backroad out in the country near where i live...the drifts were at the headlights! 2 chevrolets got stuck trying to get down the road to pull me out but they didnt even get close enough to hook on...lol (one being a plow truck :thatfunny). Basically i want to be able to go wherever i want and the motor be able to take a beating-but i dont want to spend the money for forged rods and billet main caps and all that crap, i just want a few things like oil pan and electric water pump,ect. Basically all yesterday where while i was driving the rpms were 3000-up or idle. After that last night i am going to put a 3" body lift in and however big of tire i can get on there...prolly 38" groundhawgs and then a limited slip in the front :D .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.