DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one should I get? I mean there are alot of people here that are partial to certain ones. I dont really do any towing and I'm just looking for performance. So which one do you guys think is hands down the the best?

·
Registered
217 Posts
you can go with mopar performance or you can get a custom flash through B&G Chrysler

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I know that there is hypertech, mopar, superchips, and jet but I dont know which one to buy. I was just trying to get some input before I go and spend 350-400 on one and are not happy with it. I had thought about getting a custom flashed chip and having it dyno tuned, but that runs about 550-650 dollars.

·
Registered
217 Posts
the B&G tuned PCMs are not 550 dollars. you tell them what you have done to your truck and they have the data tables there to best suite your mods. My mopar PCM was around $350 and if you sent your stock one back then they give you $100 refund. This was from Mancini Racing. Are there any more mods that you want to do in the future for performance. If you want to do headers, intake manifold, ect, I would do that first before getting an aftermarket PCM. Then you can have the company setup the chip or new pcm to give you the best bang for your buck. If you can afford to go with a fully adjustable PCM setup then you can dyno tune it all you want. If the mopar community was like the 5.0 mustang community then we would have 3 or 4 choices of programs to tune our PCMs with a simple lap top.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohh. I thought that you were talking about having it custom tuned on the dyno. Hey I preciate all the help. Like I said, I'm just trying to get some input from other people before I decide which one to buy.
Hey by the way, How do you like the mopar unit?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I liked mine alot but I am going to have it reflashed at the end of this summer by B&G. I am going to keep my stock one for the winter and keep the custom tuned one for the summer.

On my jeep i did new cat, borla exhaust(was same diamiter as stock), K&N FIPK, and Mopar PCM, I picked up .6 seconds on the 1/4 ET. Mainly my cat was partially clogged but i did notice a big upper RPM increase. If you really want your truck to pull you will need the M1 intake. If you know what a Vic JR intake looks like then that is what the M1 looks like. The thing just pulls all the way to redline.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey perdueranger, I preciate all the help. Hopefully I will get my car sold soon, then I will have about 1300 dollars I can blow on my truck. My plans are a new pcm, headers, new cat, and I'm gonna check into the new manifold. Thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
What size exhaust do you have now? I have a full 3" exhaust from the collector on back. I really helped the performance of the jeep. Headers, are you looking for a mid length or a shorty design. I went with a mid length header to get rid of a crush zone right by my oil filter. Not sure if that crush zone is on the rams. The M1 manifold is the same height as the stock manifold and only takes 5 hours to take apart the top half of the engine and put it back together. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe my exhaust is 2.25". As far as headers go, I'm looking at mid or full lenght . I haven't quite decided yet. I already have a ported TB and a CAI. My plans are to eventually do away with the cat all together, O2 sims, some sort of muffler, Headers, and an aftermarket y-pipe. Then I'm gonna check into the manifold and have also considered the 1.7 rr's. After I get the exhaust done and figure out what I want to do with the top end I'm going to purchase an ecu.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would do a dual 2.5" exhaust with mufflers or a single 3" system. I have the single 3" because that was easier than trying to fab up a dual exhaust on a grand cherokee. If you look at the Thorley headers then that is a mid length with a y-pipe included. That will be perfect for a single 3" setup because the collecter is 3" diameter. If you are going to stick with the stock cam then a set of 1.7RR will be good but if you want to do a cam swap then go with a set of 1.6RR.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I want to keep the dual exhaust so I'll check into the 2.5" pipe. As for the 1.7 rr's, I plan on keeping the stock cam for now because I dont want to get into all that is involved with swapping the cam.

·
Registered
217 Posts
on your dual exhaust is it a single pipe, 2.5", branching out to dual 2.25" out towards the back?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, Comes off of the manifolds into a "Y" and straight out the rear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do the Power Programmers kill your gas milage?

·
Registered
217 Posts
yea it will because you will be pressing the gas harder than you would without it. If you can keep your foot out of the gas then you will be fine and won't see a decrease in gas milage.

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
i got a superchips micro tuner for my truck almost a year ago and have had no problems with it, gas mileage is fairly decent for how i drive, after installing the program for the first time i pulled onto the street from my driveway, turned the corner and stomped it, i was very surprised as to how hard it pressed me into the seat, and i burned a lot of gas that night testing out acceleration from a stop, accel. from 40mph, and overal top speed (115 mph) before i let off, and after a few hundred miles your gains will go up slightly, installing a 180 stat is essential as well

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.