DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
could be ball joints---if the 2500 has that type of setup...my older truck did the same thing and it was the lower ball joints worn out. the tires were being worn extremely faster than what they should of and everytime i turned a corner...no matter the speed...it sounded like i was WOT...or it could just be worn out tires in the first place...or the air pressure in the tires themselves

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
LSD. It might be time to change the fluid in the rear end. When you do don't forget to add the LSD stuff.
I'm assuming your truck has the Dana 70 LSD rear end since it's a V10. On the LSD units when one tire starts to slip it transfers the power to the other wheel so that both tires spin at the same speed. Great when in mud or snow.
When turning, one tire needs to turn faster than the other. Your clutches could be going out or when the fluid was changed the additive was never added.

·
Urban Wheeler
415 Posts
XXLR8R said:
Automatics got Dana 70 rears, manuals got Dana 80 rears.
I thought that was only true for diesels. I was sure that all the V10 trucks had a 70 out back. :huh:

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
If I am in the gas a little and turning a sharp corner the inside rear tire slips a little especially if I've gone through some water. It is the sure grip making the tire turn the same speed as the outside tire. If I turn slowly without any gas, on dry pavement it doesn't slip at all. If yours squeals even when it has good traction and you are not in the gas, there may be something locked up in the rear end.
IMHO

·
Crew Chief
37 Posts
89smurf said:
I thought that was only true for diesels. I was sure that all the V10 trucks had a 70 out back. :huh:
There is actually very little difference between V10 & CTD trucks besides the actual engine package; in the case of the rear axle, the Dana model was matched with the tranny choice. We manufacture aftermarket suspension parts for Rams, and have different part numbers for the D70 & D80, which have axle tubes 1/2" difference in size.
Easiest way to determine what you are looking at is a simple measurement.

Of course, the matching of the HD D70, Power-Loc and 2 versions of Trac-Locs are a can of worms!

·
Crew Chief
37 Posts
To the OP, obviously check the gear oil in the pumpkin - don't forget to change it every 100K miles or so!

The pinion seal is a common leak point in the rear diff - if you run it low it can allow the clutch packs to start binding.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Rear End

My 97 SS/T did the same thing after 50K miles.
Get the rear end serviced, it has special lube in it!
That took care of mine, and I get it serviced every 50K miles.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Thats a common problem plagued by HEMI owners !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.