DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have my PCM flashed with one of the performance tunes. I just have not decided which one yet. Since I want to keep my stock PCM and flash another PCM I am wondering what issues that will pose.

If I purchased another PCM and have it flashed is that going to be a problem with the mileage if I ever needed to go in for warranty work? I am about to come out of factory warranty, but I still have the 7/70k to go.

It is my understanding that the mileage is stored in the PCM (something to effect of a SRI memory) and is used as a comparison to what the cluster reads. Say the PCM I get has an internal stored mileage of 80k and my truck has 36k.

Is there a way to program it to match what my cluster reads? Or am I pretty much SOL if I need to go in for warranty service?

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
You must reprogram your vin or burn it into the pcm, it cannot be overwritten once it is burned in, at least i don't know how to do it with the drb3... I know there is a way to do it i just can't remember how. After you enter the vin, you also do a sri check and it will ask you if the mileage is between 34,43x and 34,53x... Just put in the right mileage with the right vin and you will be fine. I have never done this with a used pcm but i have burned vin's into new pcms and mileage also. I am sure someone can figure out how to burn the vin in i honestly can't help you there.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
hemi1569 said:
You must reprogram your vin or burn it into the pcm, it cannot be overwritten once it is burned in, at least i don't know how to do it with the drb3... I know there is a way to do it i just can't remember how. After you enter the vin, you also do a sri check and it will ask you if the mileage is between 34,43x and 34,53x... Just put in the right mileage with the right vin and you will be fine. I have never done this with a used pcm but i have burned vin's into new pcms and mileage also. I am sure someone can figure out how to burn the vin in i honestly can't help you there.
I just looked online and it seems that once the VIN is burned in you can not go back and change it. It can only be burned in when they are new.

Is this SRI check something that is done on every service visit to the dealer? If so then are they really going to care if the mileage showing in the cluster is higher than the PCM as long as the VIN's do?

While I am at it. When I am looking online for them is it safe to say what the salvage yards consider to be an ECU is the PCM?

The PCM is the one mounted on the passenger side firewall?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.