DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: so months back while squeezing into a parking spot in 4wd, my d paused then jerked forward real fast. (which is where i believe i went wrong). ever since then my truck doesnt want to engage in 2wd and my service engine light is on. ok, i went out to look at it, (first "warm" day) it appears that my cv axle popped out of transfer case, maybe about 2 inches, i can see the o ring sitting there by itself! obviously i messed it up, but how bad and can i just push it back in some how? i just recently had that axle put in, so hopefully i didnt mess it up! thanx in advance to any help!!

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,323 Posts
I think you need to replace transfer case w/ front differential. If it's poped out, you will need to have it opened up to see what broke. I wouldn't drive it that way. I had this happen on an old dakota. I belive it is a snap ring failure. I was able to pop it back in, but any turn would pop it back out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aahhhh!! r u serious!? i thought it was something with the axle, my mechanic told me "the retainer clip around the axle mustve came off, and hopefully it didnt go into the transfer case n bind the gears". still runs fine, xcept it doesnt want to come out of 4wd, i actually had to unplug the motor/what ever it is underneath the truck so it would stay in 2wd, i dont wanna burn up my 4wd!! how much am i looking at if i need to disassemble everything/transfer case etc.:bawl:

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
you said your cv joint poped out of the differential housing or that your front drive shaft seperated from your transfer case? Do you happen to have a pic?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im sorry, maybe i said that wrong. my passenger side cv shaft (the one to the wheels/hub lol) slid out from the transfercase...(i think thats what that is) im new to 4wd..can u tell!! lol

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
a lil. the part you are refering to that seperated would be your cv axle seperating from your differential housing. it should be bolted on with 4 bolts. then it goes down into your hub. there is one nut that holds it into the hubs. where the cv axle attaches at the differential housing, there is an axle shaft that goes into the housing. it is held in by clips. sounds, like the clip fell out. the only reason why its being held together right now is because their is no room for it to fall out. they should be able to drop your front diff and open it up. when they do, assuming there is no damage, they can just put the clup back in. its probably stuck to the magnet in there, thats why it hasnt damaged anything yet.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, without going under neath there n checking it out for myself yet, how much work are we talkin about here? something i should let a pro handle and dish out alot of money probably, or something an average joe could figure out!?

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,323 Posts
A suspension or drivetrain specialty shop should look at this, You can do this if all it is a popped out clip, but damage maybe there and it will be hard to see to the untrained eye.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 01 durango doesn't have the old 4 bolt flange style cv shaft it just pops in the differential with a clip on shaft. I'm thinking just pop it back in as long as you got the right length cv shaft?? There are two different shafts for that year.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, i checked to see if it was the right one...the place i got it from gave me the same part # that i got. and a mech friend of mine said he tried just pushing it back in, and it just kept popping back out. so i guess the only thing to do now is to pull the front diff. off and see if i can locate/salvage the maybe missing clip!? (unless theres something i dont know about?)

·
Registered
88 Posts
There are two shafts there. One is the actual axle shaft, and the other is the CV shaft. The axle shaft is held in by a C-clip and the diff does not need to be taken apart to put the shaft back in. The shaft hole in the diff is tapered and it will compress the C-clip as it slides in. Ofcourse that's IF the C-clip is still on the end of the shaft. I believe you stated you recently replaced the shaft. When you pulled the CV shaft did it seperate at the axle shaft like it's supposed to or did the whole axle come out of the diff? If the whole axle came out of the diff it can easily be put back in as long as the C-clip came with it. You may have to tap it with a hammer on the end to get it in all the way, I did. Once it's properly seated you can pull on it and it should not come back out. If the C-clip is missing it may have popped of inside the diff. If that's the case you will need to pull the cover and fish it out. Your diff fluid could probably use a change anyway and it's nothing hard. Piece of cake. Now, there should also be a C-clip on the other end of the axle shaft. If you looked inside the female splines of your new CV shaft you would see a grove about halfway into the splines. That is where the outer C-clip is supposed to go and it takes a little wack to get that on seated properly also. My guess is that you never fully seated the inner axle shaft when you put it back together. Just take it back apart and make sure you get the C-clips seated where they need to be and you'll be golden. By the way, what a f-ing retarded desing on dodge's part. WTF where they thinking?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great job explaining that for him. When I did mine it seperated at the differential then I had to get that stubby little shaft out of the old cv shaft and that was not easy at all wtf. I don't understan why they wen't away from the old 4 bolt flange style cv shafts?? By the way if yours came apart at the differential you might wana replace the axle seal mine leaks a little know (should have replaced)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, theres the problem...i didnt replace it! it was a cash side job done through somebody at the stealership! but i did notice if i get underneath my truck i can push/pull the cv axle on the diff. shaft. but i cant get it to stay "locked in". still tryin to figure out why my truck doesnt want to stay in 2wd, it automatically goes in 4wd no matter what! right now i have the motor(?) under the truck (that switches it from 2wd-4wd) unplugged so i can drive without tearing anything else up. has anybody else ran into that problem? fix?? i can assume what parts need to be replaced,....but if im wrong it starts gettin pricey!! lol please dont make me take this thing to a trans shop!?!?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
really? since i dont know about it, where is it, how do i know if its bad, n how big of a pain is it to replace?

·
Todd O
933 Posts
Take out your front diff cover and see if there is any damage to the ring and pinion. You need to take the cv axle all the way out and make sure the gears in the front diff are not rounded off. Also check the front cv axle too. If everything is ok you can get away with just putting a new axle in. One of my friends kia's had a problem like that and I just reattached the clip and popped the old axle back in and many miles later he still didn't have a problem. He was a cheap ******* anyway so I knew he didn't want to buy a new axle. I would recommend buying a new one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
when i slide the cv axle back a bit i can see the clip and splines on the diff axle if that makes any difference. also the axle is under warranty so hopefully they will let me swap it for another one!?

·
Todd O
933 Posts
If you need any help let me know and I'll try to help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.