Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have an '03 QC 4x4 4.7 5-spd that has a gremlin in the HVAC system. I've done plenty of searching and typically the problem is the blend door, but here's my story.

Passenger has plenty of heat, driver has luke warm or cold air depending on ambient air temp. After reading many posts regarding the blend door I started to take the dash apart. The blend door actuator is working just fine. Interestingly enough there are two blend doors. The actuator runs one door directly and linkage goes down to the bottom door. Curious, I took the actuator off and separated the blend doors and ran them by hand. It doesn't sound like either door is broken. They both move freely and after the door makes contact with the stop, the arm is solid. Without seeing the door, they feel fine. With the heater running I moved the blend doors independently to see their effect, but I drew no conclusions.

Thinking I could drop the blower motor and perhaps put my hand up to the doors to see if I could feel them to see if they're broken led to a dead end. The A/C evaporator? condenser? whichever one is in the cab was in the way.

One post I read suggested feeling the supply and return hose in the engine compartment to see if there was a temperature difference. I used a temp gun and the supply hose was 170 and the return hose was 150. Is this an expected drop across the heater core? Or should it be more? Could a plugged heater core supply heat to only one side of the cab?

Based on what I've found so far, I don't know where to go from here. Should I continue to take the dash apart to gain access to the blend doors? Should I back flush the heater core?

Coolant is full, t-stat is new. Any comments or suggested appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

-HD

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.