DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run into this before? Just drove my truck for a few hours with the A/C on the whole time. Got where I was going and noticed the whole passenger floorboard is soaked under the mat with clear water that is odorless. The A/C is not putting out a moldy or musky smell either.

I'm assuming this is A/C condensation... Anyone know where this would be coming from? Do I have a clogged vent somewhere?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
i would check the drain tube to see it is plugged, may have to blow it out or hook up a shop vac to the tube to see if you can get anything out.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
the vent pipe is through the fire wall in the engine bay just under the pcm. make sure you got an elbow there. and i have read some people extend the rubber hose to go further away with the condensate.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Happened to me last year. Find the drain under and behind the accumulator in the engine bay on the firewall. It is just a hole with a gasket around it. The hole drips backwards and the gasket dries/rots out so the water can work itself back up into the cab. I threw the old PCV hose on it and clamped it down. Now it drains below the upper control arm. Then I had to pull the flooring up and mop A LOT of water out. Let it dry for a couple days and put it back together. I have vinyl so your carpet may need steam cleaning or something. Don't want any mold or smells later.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this the AC drain? I gently stuck a screwdriver into it and there is a hard obstruction. I just want to make sure before I attempt to punch through it.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
you will punch a hole in the ac condenser!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Opted for a clothes hangar first. Nothing.

Then put a rubber tip on my air compressor.
Hit it several times with about 40 or 50 psi.
In several posts and YouTube videos people say a "flood" is supposed to come out. Nothing at all happened or came out.

I guess I have an evap core problem?
Does that sound about right and should I try anything else?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Can you see any obstruction in there? It is usually leaves/tree debris that finds it's way to the bottom and clogs it up. Since you said the mat was wet i think there might not be a clog but the water from the drain is getting past the gasket and into the interior. My drain clogged last month and the water came out the vent just above the transmission hump. Run the ac with the mat/carpet out and see if you can find where it's coming from. Also look at the drain to see if water comes out of it.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
YES that's the drain!

NO don't punch into it!!!

The gasket AROUND the drain has rotted out. (I too was in TX when this happened. Hot as hell there) The condensation drips out the drain but rolls under and down the gasket and the firewall. When the gasket goes bad, it is real dry and brittle, easily soaking up the drips over time. Put some silicone around the gasket and install a chunk of hose on the drain. It will stop! After days and days of running constant AC in the humid air, the water just piled up under my carpet. It is not necessarily a bad evaporator, so before you pull your dash, just try this first. It is common! I found many posts on this and was easy fix.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you see any obstruction in there? It is usually leaves/tree debris that finds it's way to the bottom and clogs it up. Since you said the mat was wet i think there might not be a clog but the water from the drain is getting past the gasket and into the interior. My drain clogged last month and the water came out the vent just above the transmission hump. Run the ac with the mat/carpet out and see if you can find where it's coming from. Also look at the drain to see if water comes out of it.
Nothing at all is coming out of the drain.
Looks like it's been that way for at least a little while.

Still trying to figure out where it is dumping out inside the truck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ran the AC all the way on a 350mi round trip the other day.

Nothing came out of the drain.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
If it isn't humid, then nothing will come out. It drains the water out of the air in the cab. This is why the AC is on when you turn the DEfrost on in the winter: to suck moisture out of the cab. If you are in the dry part of tx, then humidity is quite low.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's summer in Texas. It's always humid.

My other vehicles drop condensation like crazy.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Where?? I lived in the DFW area and it remained quite dry. Further west and it's desert. So not everywhere is it humid.

When my Ram went "dry" it was low on freon. Have the lbs checked, you may just need a re-charge.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took it to a trusted mechanic and the hose to the drain was just gone.

The part that stuck through the firewall was still there, but nothing connecting it.

I bought the truck used so I can't explain it. At least it's fixed now.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Took it to a trusted mechanic and the hose to the drain was just gone.

The part that stuck through the firewall was still there, but nothing connecting it.

I bought the truck used so I can't explain it. At least it's fixed now.
To my knowledge there was never anything on there from the factory. So what was done to it?

·
it's dune time!!!
3 Posts
What if you hear that gurgling noise in your heater, and it fills your floor boards?
Thought for sure the heater core was toast, but the cooling system wasn't unusually low..
What's the preferred method? Blow air or vacuum... It started a few weeks ago when it was Crazy humid, for Vegas haha. Actually have 2 a 95 2500 and a 2011/2500..field trucks, my shagin wagon is an 07 mega6.7 and that Ac bites... Gotta go look for a fix for it too

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
What if you hear that gurgling noise in your heater, and it fills your floor boards?
Thought for sure the heater core was toast, but the cooling system wasn't unusually low..
What's the preferred method? Blow air or vacuum... It started a few weeks ago when it was Crazy humid, for Vegas haha. Actually have 2 a 95 2500 and a 2011/2500..field trucks, my shagin wagon is an 07 mega6.7 and that Ac bites... Gotta go look for a fix for it too
Welcome to Dodgetalk! :gr_patrio

It appears like you are comparing the heater core with AC system. The "gurgling" is air in the anti-freeze due to a leaking hose, bad radiator cap, or leaking heater core. In your case, the heater core has leaked and dropped into the cab.

·
it's dune time!!!
3 Posts
yeah that was what I thought too, but the water is clear like the condensation off the ac, and searching the site I believe the gurgling is air in the system, no loss of coolant... fingers crossed, and thanks for the welcome,:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.