DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a problem since day one, but I am only just now addressing it. My passenger door will not open. I took the panel off and poked all around in there but I can't get it to pop open. It's unlocked and the only thing I can get to move is the locking mechanism. Can anyone give me some tips?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're convinced that you are actuating the latch mechanism and that the door should open but doesn't ... then the door is sealed/stuck shut from not being used in years. The only thing holding it is the bond that built up from staying closed. Have a friend actuate the latch while you, from the outside, gently pry to get the seal broken. Use something that won't mar the surface if you can .. a large/long broad tip tire spoon or screwdrive .. put something undert it.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Use the other door.:D

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you're convinced that you are actuating the latch mechanism and that the door should open but doesn't ... then the door is sealed/stuck shut from not being used in years. The only thing holding it is the bond that built up from staying closed. Have a friend actuate the latch while you, from the outside, gently pry to get the seal broken. Use something that won't mar the surface if you can .. a large/long broad tip tire spoon or screwdrive .. put something undert it.
FTA,

Or, better yet, have a helper lie on the seat and push the door with his feet from the inside while you push in on the button from the outside -- but stay out of the way of the door (just in case)!

I honestly think that you will find that the problem involves mechanical interference of some kind, be it a malfunctioning latch/lock system, previous collision damage or worn-out hinge pins (which has already been suggested by Tone-us).

But try the "push-pull" technique first or you might really feel foolish later on if the door is in fact just "stuck". I know that the loose outer ends of the seat belt buckles (which wouldn't retract properly) used to occasionally get jammed between the doors and the sills on my old '72. That could make 'em very hard to open indeed!

Jeff

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm pretty sure it's an F'ed up latch, lever or link or something, But to be sure I'll go outside right now and try as hard as I can to open this F'ing Door!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i tried like hell to get this thing open. What's wierd is something unlocks when I try to go to open it and it opens just a little, like 1/4 inch. Then I can push it back and something will click and the door will be all the way shut again. But it won't just pull open like that, i have to push the button. So I don;t know what's going on. I pulled pushed and lifted. Even put a pry bar in there and it won't open. I'll try more tomorrow, it's 12:45 am !!

·
Registered
195 Posts
your plastic clips that run from your inner and outer handle may have broke. Try getting open a 1/4 in. again n try to actuate your latck with your finger. There are two places you can trigger the latch. inner and outer latch triggers at different points. The only reason i know this is cause I went through latch hell recently and ended up just getting a new door cause mine was rusted to hell. good luck

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well For those interested, My mission today was to open this F'ing door. After close to an hour of pry bars and big screwdrivers I climbed inside, sat across the bench seat, And kicked with all my rage and anger... IT WORKED!

Turns out there was some sort of plastic jammed up in the latch preventing it from opening. Somebody probably closed the door with something hanging out still and that's how it happened. Open and closes like a charm now that I pried the plastic out. Man was it in there. I'm pretty happy about the situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.