DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Maybe tie it to the ground, and jack the truck up? lol, can't think of any other way. I'm lazy though and love my sledge.

Wouldn't ya think thatd break or bend the mount it's on before the end link breaks?
What are near gears?
sway bar links can be stubborn. especialy the tapered stud version. congrats you have the pita model. this project is going to take patience. back the nut on the n-link to the studs end, so that when u hit with the BFH, you are trying to hit the nut and the stud. if you mush the stud only the nut will never come off. get a plumbers MAP GAS torch! they are cheap and will come in handy often.
think in priorities! you could run with out the sway, if you had to. get it off any way and plan on spending the money later after the priorities are taken care of.
that lower track bar mount is wrong. the former owner was a meat head hack and broke the wing nut hardware. his solution was to mount the t-bar on the outside of the pocket. IT WILL BRAKE THIS WAY! it will cause a complete loss of control while driving. go to a junk yard and get the right bolt and wing nut from another ram!
you need one of these too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE-RAM-Adj-Track-Bar-1500-2500-3500-4x4-XRF-1995-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2561e94fc2QQitemZ160556470210QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
center your axle
i do buy from ebay too much, and will prolly catch critics.
have you checked the steering linkeage for play in the joints yet.
let the frame rust go. spend the money on the obveous stuff you need.
the ring and pinion seals leak. most likely slow. check the differential fluid level. dont worry about slow leaks
let me say again. yes someone was F-IN around with the suspension in the back. they had that leaf pack apart. you are missing leaf buckles. no big deal! it has an add-a-leaf in it! and a frt coil spacer! and a body lift. = 5" of lift
the new ele connector above the trans is a o2 sensor end. looks like the bank 2 sensor is new and someone has spliced in a new connector on the harness side aswell. he prolly couldnt get it apart properly and tore things to ribbons. meat head!
AND buy a haynes manual from pepboys.
Can I just grind that sumbitch off?

Running it without a sway bar? Seems kinda dangerous.

I'm planning on going to a junk yard soon anyways after I sell this ladder rack on Monday. I'll get that part for the track bar.

How do I check the steering for play?

You think I need a new track bar? I can get new bolts from the junkyard soon but I'm not so sure about the track bar itself.

I will be changing the rear end fluid, seal after the more imortant stuff is taken care of.

I'll look into buying that manual. Trust me I need one, my dad says it atleast once a week, the only reason I joined here is because I kept asking him so many questions he got mad and told me to go online, maybe he'll buy me that manual as a present or something haha.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
I will say allot of questions also but some are kinda hard to answer without being there to show you on truck.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
I've been running no sway bar for a year now. No issues, actually a little smoother ride for me. My lift coils are super stiff though, so that is why I don't need the sway bar I think.

For steering play, have someone get in and turn the wheel while you lay underneath. Look for any slack in the steering. If the pitman arm starts turning and nothing else moves, or if they are turning the wheel and nothing moves, stuff like that.

PS: DSS was the best mod I've done to the truck.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I've been running no sway bar for a year now. No issues, actually a little smoother ride for me. My lift coils are super stiff though, so that is why I don't need the sway bar I think.

For steering play, have someone get in and turn the wheel while you lay underneath. Look for any slack in the steering. If the pitman arm starts turning and nothing else moves, or if they are turning the wheel and nothing moves, stuff like that.

PS: DSS was the best mod I've done to the truck.
Will do. And whats DSS? I feel dumb not knowing half these words ya'll use.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
i was told that i'm premature in replacing steering parts, but its been explained to me the same way several times. have someone saw or monkey hump the wheel, lay under the truck, place a hand on the steering components, track bar too, feel for the joints poping or slop in the movement. replace!
let us know

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
i was told that i'm premature in replacing steering parts, but its been explained to me the same way several times. have someone saw or monkey hump the wheel, lay under the truck, place a hand on the steering components, track bar too, feel for the joints poping or slop in the movement. replace!
let us know
Have to get a battery before I can do any of that. It had a napa battery in it with a 75 month warranty. Turns out I need the receipt and the guy bought the battery not all that long ago...I'm gonna have to bitch because i mean you can tell the battery is almost brand spankin new.

I know a lot of the joints are bad because of the idiot who owned it before me.

Could I grind off the sway bar end links?

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
watch you dont damage the sway. you also need to determine whether its a tapered stud or straight in the sway bar. i wouldnt grind it.
try an auto parts store, see if they rent tie rod end pullers. maybe a two jaw or three jaw puller will work. try to save it just to look at it.
worst comes to worst you grind it off and drill the center out till the pieces fall.
did you try the MAP torch

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
watch you dont damage the sway. you also need to determine whether its a tapered stud or straight in the sway bar. i wouldnt grind it.
try an auto parts store, see if they rent tie rod end pullers. maybe a two jaw or three jaw puller will work. try to save it just to look at it.
worst comes to worst you grind it off and drill the center out till the pieces fall.
did you try the MAP torch
How do i determine if its tapered stud or straight? If I grind it off wouldn't the other end just fall out? Is it like stuck in that position some how with something? No I don't have a torch man and I'm not planning on buying one. I'm sure my dad would kill me if i even talked to him about buying a torch.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
not trying to argue w/ ur dad but, your a mechanic now. your going to be collecting a multitude of tools. you will reuse it later, again & again

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
not trying to argue w/ ur dad but, your a mechanic now. your going to be collecting a multitude of tools. you will reuse it later, again & again
Oh yeah I know your not trying to argue neither am I , I was just saying I know my dad won't allow me to get a torch right now maybe when I'm 18 but not now. How do i know which end link i have ? And in your opinion what should i buy for $100 bucks on a visa gift card?

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
you need to get it runnin. battery if you need it. TIP: interstate is right near me. they make bat. i walked in and asked for a blem. got a 85 month $120 850cca bat for $35. a cosmetic blem!
walmart bats arent bad, yellow & black, dont know the name, get the biggest that fits, 850cca at least- 1000cca is better

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
you need to get it runnin. battery if you need it. TIP: interstate is right near me. they make bat. i walked in and asked for a blem. got a 85 month $120 850cca bat for $35. a cosmetic blem!
walmart bats arent bad, yellow & black, dont know the name, get the biggest that fits, 850cca at least- 1000cca is better
Haha right...I almost forgot about battery and oil change...thanks.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.