DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 4x4. it has the 9.25 in the rear and dana 44 in front if im not mistaken. I went to my parts shop and asked for a price for 4.56 gears for the front and rear axle. He told me that he couldn't find any. Who sell these and part #'s if u may.

2) I want lockers in my truck. Whats the best to put in the rear and whats the best to put in the front? Brands, ect.

Thanks for helping and taken the time to read this.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
http://www.ringpinion.com/

they will have everything you need for the swap . if its a daily driver i would not put a locker up front . stick with a limited slip up front . for the rear you cant beat a detroit locker or ARB SELECTABLE .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will i have to have the thick gear in the front for the dana 44?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
no . you will need a new case/carrier for the 44 .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so tell me everything i will need?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
front and rear gears your choice . master install kit's for both . case/carrier for front if truck has 3.55 currently , no case needed for 3.92's . if you have a oem limited slip in back know would be a good time for a rebuild cheap part .

edit....also gear oil and if limited slip in rear youll need friction modifier .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im wanting to put lockers in the rear and front and 4.56 gear rear and front. Is there special parts i need?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
i would advise not putting a locker in the front on a daily driver unless its a SELECTABLE . your steering will be horriable . do a limited slip . some locker fit inside of the case/carrier some dont so depending on brand/type you may/maynot need a case/carrier up front .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking at the powertrax lock-right locker for the front and the rear. Good or not? And i heard that if you get the think gear for the front you dont have to get a different carrier. True?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
PT fits inside the case front/rear . stick with standard gears case is cheap if needed . is it true :dunno: PT seems to be limited to tire size of 35 . is this true i dont know . only locker i have had was a detroit in a yota as a teenager and it was great stout over kill 4 a 4 banger . if it were me detroit in rear with auburn limited in front . money no object ARB SELECTABLE F/R .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whats so good about the ARB SELECTABLE locker?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Whats so good about the ARB SELECTABLE locker?
its a very stout unit . proven performer in the jeeps . "SELECTABLE" at a flick of a switch it will lock up , or un lock and be an open diff . 1 draw back it does require more maintenance as the system has hose's , compressor and such . OX is another good locker . it uses a cable to lock and un-lock but i believe its only available for the front 44 . hope this is usefull to you .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so in planning on putting 4.88 gears in the truck. will they work with the detiot locker because i think it said up to 4.56 gear?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.