DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this weird problem with my emergency brake. This only happens on certain conditions but are repeatable. When it is raining and only when I back into my driveway or a parking spot my truck sticks after using the emergency brake. It feels like the brake has released but when I try to accelerate it goes no where then all of a sudden it lets go. Like I said, this only happens when it rains and if I back into a spot. If I pull into a spot forward there are no problems. Does any one have any ideas about this weird problem or has any one experienced it too? Thanks for your help.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
It's probably rusted up inside your drums, pull the wheels and hit the moving parts with some lube. Maybe you're due for brakes?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BB, I will check them when I get some time.

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
It could be a rusting cable/ weak springs as well. Rear drum brakes are designed to grab better when rolling forward thus backing up could be what is releasing them. I would follow Bleu's advice first but while it's apart look at the cable and springs. The parking brake release springs are built into the end of the cable thats inside the drum. Make sure they are not broken or rusted.

As a follow up to Bleu don't just spray wd40 or the like in the drum. Get some white lithium grease and apply it to the 6 (iirc) small contact points where the shoes touch the backing plate. If the other parts are ok you should not need to lube anything else besides the star wheel.

·
Burried In The Mud
57 Posts
it's possible the shoes could be in backwards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.