DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi with 130K miles. I have been dealing with a parasitic battery drain. I hooked up my multimeter after powering down, key out and doors closed. After about 15 minutes, with my hand in the intake manifold, I could hear and feel a click then the battery draw jumps from a normal 0.16 - 0.19 Amps to 2.65 Amps. Truck runs fine, fuel consumption is normal but if I don't disconnect the battery, it will be dead in 24 hrs. It has to be an MDS solenoid engaging. Do I have a failed PCM or a failed MDS? Should I be looking at something else? If anyone else has dealt with this I would sure appreciate some insight.

·
Red Trucker
2,871 Posts
Unlikely to be an MDS solenoid because 1) with the key out the PCM doesn't have the power (beyond maintaining RAM/adaptives) to make anything happen and 2) unless it's some amazing stray voltage it wouldn't be just one solenoid; they're designed to engage all four at the same time. Only way to know for sure is either start pulling fuses and see which one keeps the draw from happening or unplug the MDS harness to confirm or rule out the solenoids.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the prompt reply. I pulled all fuses one by one and it did not cause the drain on the battery to drop off. Realizing this isn't the slant six I had in high school, there are systems running and monitoring as long as the battery is connected. I have no idea what is managing the MDS solenoids short of the PCM..
Solid advice in proving my assumption. Still, something is triggering something with the key off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts