DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone every done it? i was thinking about when i paint my grill shell to match the color of my truck, should i get the chrome door handles and tailgate handle and chrome mirror covers and scuff them and paint them to match or should i just directly paint the parts. obviously there would be slightly more prep as the mirror backs and door handles are textured as opposed to the chrome stick on covers that are smooth. just wondering what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool ill see if i can track him down. any thoughts on the door handles? im thinking of just tapeing off the handles so that only the face is painted. no need to do behind and all that. im sure theres a seam or something that would be a good guide to know where to stop.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW. thats all i can say. he did his wiper cowl an door handles and mirror backs. he did an awesome job. i didnt know if it would look like crap or not. im soo excited right now cuz that is exactly what i had in mind. i wonder if he still has his stock bumper cover. i have the SLT and i want the sport. does anyone know if there is a place that sells them other than ebay? ive looked there and most of them have cracks or holes. his color is the same as mine also. Black metallic.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im gonna post up all the pics so everyone can see what im talking about to get an idea. i hope he doesnt mind.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Boomer Sooners
669 Posts
i think he said he did most of the prep work himself. he shoulnt mind posting pis that truck is beautiful. thats what i have in mind painting shell, cowl, mirrors,lights. shave all handles. i cant find a srt-10 bumper

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think im gonna take my chrome headlights apart and color match them too. im just trying to go above and beyond anything ive seen before while being subtle. i dont think ive ever seen a head light blacked out with metallic black.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I personally wouldn't paint the chrome covers.. I'd do the handle themselves.

I'm planning on doing this mod (probably around summertime) i just need to find some spare handles first

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i think it would look better to do the handles themselves as well. the way rumble did it looks really good. he did the cowl and everything.

·
HOTROD
590 Posts
Man, That looks good!!! Glad mine came all black

·
HOTROD
590 Posts
What type of paint did you use on it tho?? I might do that on the wife's truck

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this isnt my truck. im imagining he used some kind of adhesive promoter, along with a primer epoxy, then sand a bit with some fine sand paper, then lay down the same exterior paint thats on your truck. you would have to go to a paint shop or body shop to get the exact paint you would like. or go to the dealer.

·
Got Cummins!!!
561 Posts
Painted all my stuff too... Scuff them an paint them with automotive paint. Every company has their recommendations. But just do them RIGHT!!!

Attachments

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,989 Posts
There are a ton of write ups and how-to's on this that include all the nitty gritty details.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well ive been searching all kinds of different ways and havent come across them yet. if you do would u mind posting them up?

·
Registered
16,619 Posts
I painted every piece of trim on my red 05 along with MoparFans (Al) truck And a Gomango Daytona for a friend.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.