DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
HOTROD
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best way to crack them open with out damaging them so I can paint them black? What would be the best paint to use?? Also what would be the best way to reseal them when im done. Thanks in advance everybody

Patiently waiting for replys:popcorn:

·
Fueled by 1.21 jiggawatts
2,722 Posts
Black headlight housing?

Type this into the search engine. There is alot of info in this thread here on this site.

·
You've been Hijacked
14,746 Posts
I believe there is a how to thread in the how to section also

·
Once and future owner
3,061 Posts
Try a search on them. It's basically sticking them in a oven for about 15-mins so the glue gets nice a warm then pry them apart carefully then sand; paint reinstall; etc.

Have you looked on Ebay? You can get them for a decent price for the 02-05 headlights.

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,567 Posts
Try a search on them. It's basically sticking them in a oven for about 15-mins so the glue gets nice a warm then pry them apart carefully then sand; paint reinstall; etc.

Have you looked on Ebay? You can get them for a decent price for the 02-05 headlights.
pretty much what he said, i have plenty of experience in this depo

·
HOTROD
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok cool, i think i got the tearing down and putting back together part figured out. What kind of paint works the best?

·
Registered
25 Posts
type of paint

i used rust-oleum satin black.i seem to really like this color as you my see from my pics, i use it anywhere i can.

·
-Ben-
498 Posts
Yeah any plastics paint will work. Rustoleum universal is what I use on mine. You have to sand the chrome off and it is just plastic underneath. Please dont stick the lights in for 15 minutes. You will have a melted pile of headlights if you do that. 400 degress fourty five seconds tops at a time. Takes a couple of heating cyles before it will start to seperate. Watch the clear lense, it will shrink if it touches heat, use a thick towel.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
And for a little hands on approach, I used a heat gun when I did mine (almost four years ago). It lets you work a section at a time, heating ahead of where you're separating. I think the only pics I have now are in my gallery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.