DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
LSU
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get my handles and mirrors painted but i am afraid that the paint could chip off. What do yall think.. does anyone have any experience with painted handles or mirrors. Yalls input would be great :help:

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
ram03reg said:
I want to get my handles and mirrors painted but i am afraid that the paint could chip off. What do yall think.. does anyone have any experience with painted handles or mirrors. Yalls input would be great :help:
Mine have been done since June of this year, 4404spd did mine and they look great! The secret is in the prep and the supplies you use. Here's a link for you to research.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114415&highlight=painted+mirrors

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
Im not sure how Dan (4404spd) does it BUT mine have been on over 2 years with just a few small chips where road debris has hit the mirrors,its un-avoidable if you drive your truck to get chips,BUT if the process is done right there will be less chance of peeling and flaking once its applied.

I dis-assembled my mirrors and litely scuffed them with a scotch brite pad to help the primer stick,I did NOT sand them. My bro-in-law then cleaned them really good with solvents and primed them with a good filler primer and baked the parts,once they were ready we sanded the primer and shot another coat of primer on them and baked the parts again.Finally after the last coats of primer and sanding they were ready for color to be applied and clearcoat applied then baked gain. This gave the mirrors,cowl,handles(which were stolen before installed!!!) a very smooth body like finish instead of the textured look that you see alot of guys with. Mine have held up great for that time as I have taken tons of 3600 mile trips since and have only gotten the few rock chips.

Dan will chime in Im sure and tell you his secrets,he is a professional painter and knows what he is doing.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I did my own prep in the cleaning and sanding finishing with 400 used wet

Had the pros paint them including the cowel
They used another cleaner and adhesion promoter but no primer

Been through one winter and no chipping or cracking etc etc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.