DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Freaks of Nature
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im smoothing the interior of my ram and painting everything. im wanting to do it in viper red, and viper black colors. the paint store justquoted me 123 a quart for the red and 60 on the black it is pro spray brand.just wondering if thats about right i know that reds can be some of the more expensive colors any way.

thanks
big mike

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
im smoothing the interior of my ram and painting everything. im wanting to do it in viper red, and viper black colors. the paint store justquoted me 123 a quart for the red and 60 on the black it is pro spray brand.just wondering if thats about right i know that reds can be some of the more expensive colors any way.

thanks
big mike
Never used prospray that's a british brand so I am not sure on the quality of it but $123 a quart for a mid grade paint sounds about right I've been getting PPG deltron (high Grade) for about $75 a pint and PPG Omni (low grade) for $10 a pint

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
Just find another red or black. Just cause its got the Viper name on it is gonna be a little more. I paid $50 for a 1/2 pint of Viper silver not too long ago to paint a fender.

Was it single stage?

·
Freaks of Nature
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just find another red or black. Just cause its got the Viper name on it is gonna be a little more. I paid $50 for a 1/2 pint of Viper silver not too long ago to paint a fender.

Was it single stage?
no its not single stage. well the color is the code from dodge that came on the viper which that red is different than anything that came on the ram.

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
Correct. That is why it's gonna be a little more.

If you are doing base/clear then just get a red that matches your paint code - red will be a little more - but it should be about 30% less than the Viper. You can even use a SW base or a low line brand. It's not in the sun - your not matching panels - so the clear will protect it.

·
Freaks of Nature
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct. That is why it's gonna be a little more.

If you are doing base/clear then just get a red that matches your paint code - red will be a little more - but it should be about 30% less than the Viper. You can even use a SW base or a low line brand. It's not in the sun - your not matching panels - so the clear will protect it.
thanks for the advise. right now my truck is hotrod flatz red. which is really just a primer in the next couple of months im going to paint the truck doing a viper red with a black stripe to break up the red.

·
Freaks of Nature
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive also looked at summit racings new paint they have. it a single stage they have a viper red and it runs 90 a gallon. just not sure on it though.i dont want to pull may interior out agian and re do this. that dash is a bitch to get out.lol

·
DFWRAM
2,254 Posts
HE HE :D i have my whole dash smoothed lots of work ahead of you but well worth it i wouldnt use anything but PPG products if i was you spend the extra $ man it comes out way better than the other stuff and be sure to use lots of clear cuz in the interior its gonna get scrathed easy and offten

OEM PPG Viper Red the color runs and 146 an qt

but it looks great i painted my buddy's dash in his Camoro Viper red very nice

·
Freaks of Nature
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HE HE :D i have my whole dash smoothed lots of work ahead of you but well worth it i wouldnt use anything but PPG products if i was you spend the extra $ man it comes out way better than the other stuff and be sure to use lots of clear cuz in the interior its gonna get scrathed easy and offten

OEM PPG Viper Red the color runs and 146 an qt

but it looks great i painted my buddy's dash in his Camoro Viper red very nice

have you finshed your whole dash?i didnt think you did the top of it yet?

·
DFWRAM
2,254 Posts
the top i gonna wait until i dont drive it everyday the glare is really bad and dangurous

all my buddies that have them done and hate it driveing somtimes

it looks good but not a good idea for a daily driver but the top part is a pain to take out so i will have to get a wild hair before i do it

·
Freaks of Nature
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the top i gonna wait until i dont drive it everyday the glare is really bad and dangurous all my buddies that have them dont hate it it looks good but not a good idea for a daily driver but the top part is a paint to take out

i gotcha. oh and i forgot to tahank you for telling me about the sparyable body filler. i got a gallon of slick sand made smoothing go alot faster.

·
DFWRAM
2,254 Posts

·
Freaks of Nature
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i hope to have it all back together first part of next week and i will post some pics. then its off to have seats wraped in black and red leather. im putting caviler seats in the back doing away with the bench seat.

·
Registered
504 Posts
what is this sprayable body filler you guys speak of?

·
DFWRAM
2,254 Posts
its is like bondo but it sprays out of a paint gun :rck: makes custom work easy and fast

·
Project Kenpachi '07-
530 Posts
Man,I'll keep saying it til I'm blue in the face, go to Alsa and check out their products. they have some amazing stuff on hand for inside and outside your ride.....

http://www.alsacorp.com/

·
DaBigRed1
229 Posts
has any one used duplicolor paintshop for anything i wanted to use it to paint a motorhome thats fiber glass and i dont need it show quility or anything but i dont want it to look like i used a spray can and cheap

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
what is this sprayable body filler you guys speak of?
The stuff I use is called Reface you better have a spray gun with huge orfise (sp)to spay it. A old Binks model #7 works well and the old Astro knock off.

·
Freaks of Nature
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
has any one used duplicolor paintshop for anything i wanted to use it to paint a motorhome thats fiber glass and i dont need it show quility or anything but i dont want it to look like i used a spray can and cheap
i did use the paint shop stuff on some of my panels before and it works good for what it is. you just pour it and spray which is nice and if you put a clear coat on it it will surprise you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.