DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be receiving my cylinder heads back from killians in a week or two, and since I'm going to have the top half disassembled I am considering some engine part painting.

My intake manifold, fuse box, and caps are all color matched but the paint doesn't look fresh anymore(I rattle canned it). I can easily remove the paint on those parts and freshen it up or go back to black.

Now since I'm going to have the timing cover, heads, valve covers, and intake manifold off I figured no better time then now to paint, freshen up what I have painted or just clean everything up. So what do you guys think? I don't want it to look tacky but I want it customized. My truck is inferno red crystal pearl.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Might as well repaint things while you've got it apart. Perhaps use some sort of paint/coating that isn't as "sticky" to dust, thereby allowing you to clean things up with some compressed air.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might as well repaint things while you've got it apart. Perhaps use some sort of paint/coating that isn't as "sticky" to dust, thereby allowing you to clean things up with some compressed air.
That's what I'm thinking. I need to find a good paint that doesn't get tacky when the engine temps get high. I may have to choose a different color to get it right, bc where I used oem matched paint with high temp clear coat it simply didn't work out. Any recommendations on paint to use on the plastic intake manifold that's going to cure good and last? Also where my truck is inferno red, any ideas on color? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
No idea on paint types, but for color I'd go with something brighter that complements Inferno. Maybe like an orangey-red? Color is all subjective, so just stare at your motor until you visualize the color you'd like,

·
Registered
512 Posts
high temp rattle paint, at any o'reilly's, advanced, napa. not sure how it will do on plastic parts. go hemi orange, give that little 4.7 some pride :D

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
high temp rattle paint, at any o'reilly's, advanced, napa. not sure how it will do on plastic parts. go hemi orange, give that little 4.7 some pride :D
Im actually going to go buy an HVLP spray gun today and i was looking at eastwood paints. They have hemi orange which i have been considering since day one. But im not sure how it will do on the "plastic" intake manifold and valve covers. Thanks for the input, what do you think about this paint?

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-ceramic-engine-paint-quart-hemi-ornge.html

·
Registered
512 Posts
VHT and rustoleum both make a ceramic engine paint in a rattle can, not sure if you need to invest in that Eastwood system for a few engine parts. I still am not sure how it will hold up on plastic, think your going to need a plastic primer. Honestly I would just paint the aluminum items and leave the plastic factory black. black goes with everything

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you're planning on keeping the truck for a while then I would have to agree with everyone else here and clean it up to repaint. I will only use VHT because it holds up to the heat, comes in a rattle can and have a lot of colors to choose from.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used VHT last time but it didn't hold up. When I first did it, it looked great but after a few months it didn't look to good. I already picked up a paint gun and I'm planning on buying some inferno red base, primer and clear from express paint. There isn't many options for color with VHT that will go well with the color of my truck. I'm going to paint the intake manifold, valve covers, fuse box and the lid on my volant cai inferno red. I'm also thinking about getting some stencils to put the mopar symbol on my cai lid and write 4.7L on my valve covers in silver, then clear it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.