DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have this code for DPF system performance I have the AU flash, and everything is working fine on my truck BUT!! it's -20C here an I went on a 1000km trip and my truck was regening like crazey 4 TIMES !!! in 1000km fuel milage really sucked, Overhead says system OK I was concerned about this when I got this truck,temps are not high enough to keep the DPF clean on it's own with the low temp and it's not that cold here yet and now a rediclous amount of fuel is being dumped into the exhaust. I think I even mentioned this winter time problem a few months ago when the mercury drops this cold the exhaust temp generated by the engine is not enough to keep the soot accumulation down when driving my regens were lasting about 15 to 40 min this is nuts only 400 miles to a tank of fuel.
I called my brother and he has the exact same code and we live a hour apart, we also have the same trucks, My question is the people living in a cold location right now or traveled to one, do you have this code as well?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Okay.....here goes...not sure if this will help you any. I do not have the same engine either, however this will explain what is happening.

P1451-DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER SYSTEM PERFORMANCE

Theory of Operation
The engine Exhaust system monitors the soot load in the After treatment diesel particulate filter. Under normal operating conditions the After treatment diesel particulate filter is self-cleaning, where accumulated soot is converted to ash. Under light load operating conditions, the driver may be notified via the vehicle's EVIC message center ("CATALYST FULL: SEE OWNERS MAN" message will be displayed) that it is necessary to modify the vehicles driving routine/duty-cycle (see Owner's Manual for details) in order to allow the After treatment diesel particulate filter system to self clean. If the vehicle's EVIC message center notification is ignored, the vehicle will eventually derate the engine and set a fault, requiring service. The soot load in the After treatment diesel particulate filter is estimated by the ECM using the Exhaust Pressure Sensor values and the calculated soot output of the engine. This fault code will be triggered if the application is not operating at a duty cycle high enough to allow active regeneration of the After treatment diesel particulate filter. This fault code is an indication that the exhaust temperatures exiting the turbocharger are not high enough to allow active regeneration of the soot that is trapped in the After treatment diesel particulate filter. It may be necessary to increase the duty cycle of the application in order to prevent excessive soot accumulation and plugging of the After treatment diesel particulate filter. The ECM will set this fault if it detects that the soot level has exceeded the normal desoot trigger threshold by a sufficient amount to indicate that the driver intervention is required. There is not a MIL lamp associated with this fault code, though the driver will be notified via the EVIC message.

When Monitored:
Engine Running

Set Condition:
The ECM will set this fault if it detects that the soot level has exceeded the normal desoot trigger threshold by a sufficient amount to indicate that the driver intervention is required.

Possible Causes

ENGINE HAS BEEN OPERATING IN LIGHT LOAD CONDITIONS THAT PREVENT EXHAUST TEMPERATURES FROM BEING HIGH ENOUGH TO ACTIVELY REGENERATE THE AFTER TREATMENT PARTICULATE FILTER

PROGRESSIVE DAMAGE TO THE AFTER TREATMENT SYSTEM FROM AN ENGINE FAILURE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO EXCESSIVE FUEL, OIL OR COOLANT IN THE AFTER TREATMENT SYSTEM

EXHAUST LEAK PREVENTING DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER REGENERATION TEMPERATURES FROM BEING ACHIEVED

Hope this helps some!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That Is exactialy what I wanted to know, you know I called a half a dozen dealers today any you were the most helpful, I got answers like your idling it, bring it in we don't know this code, but I wasn't buying it, I was confindant that the colder exhaust temps were to blame and you confermed that for me.
Thankyou

·
Registered
292 Posts
i just got this code today aswell. Got 2 codes, P-2436 as first code and P-1451 as second code. Im in alberta aswell. Truck was idling today for approx 30 mins, then overhead said "catalyst full" then dropped to 90%, then took it for a rip on the highway for a regen. As i left tim horton parking lot, the overhead changed to "catalyst full, service required" then a MIL came on the instrument cluster. Overhead finally dropped to "system ok" after showing 90%, then 80%, then last showing 70%. Went down in increments of 10%. Argghh! im hating this emmisions bs.

Hey cummisdude, you got ULSD in your area? Where im at in Alberta all they have is LSD and was told thats a no no on these trucks, not much i can do. And ya i get crap milage too. approx 450-500km's from full till the fill up light blinks on. Thats pretty well all highway driving.

Good luck getting things resolved, im on that quest tomorrow, lol

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I'm sure you are wrong with only having LSD. They probably haven't changed the signs on the pumps. LSD is illegal under Canadian law. All fuel in Canada has been ULSD for over a year.

·
Registered
292 Posts
ok thats great then, ya i never seen one that said "ULSD" just "LSD" But ya even with a google search, it looks like all of canada should legally be running ULSD. Thanks for straightening that out ram3500dually. :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
95f150 said:
i just got this code today aswell. Got 2 codes, P-2436 as first code and P-1451 as second code. Im in alberta aswell. Truck was idling today for approx 30 mins, then overhead said "catalyst full" then dropped to 90%, then took it for a rip on the highway for a regen. As i left tim horton parking lot, the overhead changed to "catalyst full, service required" then a MIL came on the instrument cluster. Overhead finally dropped to "system ok" after showing 90%, then 80%, then last showing 70%. Went down in increments of 10%. Argghh! im hating this emmisions bs.

Hey cummisdude, you got ULSD in your area? Where im at in Alberta all they have is LSD and was told thats a no no on these trucks, not much i can do. And ya i get crap milage too. approx 450-500km's from full till the fill up light blinks on. Thats pretty well all highway driving.

Good luck getting things resolved, im on that quest tomorrow, lol

Ummmmm did you get code...p2463 or P 2436??

Here is part two of the problem.....
P2463-DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER - SOOT ACCUMULATION
For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W.

Theory of Operation
The engine after treatment system monitors the soot load in the after treatment diesel particulate filter. Under normal operating conditions the after treatment diesel particulate filter is self-cleaning, where soot is converted to ash. Under light load operating conditions, the driver may be notified via the vehicle's EVIC message center that it may be necessary to modify the vehicle's driving routine/duty-cycle in order to allow the after treatment diesel particulate filter system to self clean. If the vehicle's EVIC message center notification is ignored, the vehicle will eventually derate and set a fault, requiring service. The soot load in the after treatment diesel particulate filter is estimated using the Exhaust Pressure Sensors and the calculated soot output of the engine. This fault code can be triggered if the application is not operating at a duty cycle high enough to actively regenerate the after treatment diesel particulate filter. This fault code indicates that the exhaust temperatures exiting the turbocharger are not high enough to actively regenerate the soot that is trapped in the after treatment diesel particulate filter. It may be necessary to increase the duty cycle of the application in order to prevent excessive soot accumulation and plugging of the after treatment diesel particulate filter. The ECM will set this fault if it detects that the after treatment diesel particulate filter is plugged or that the differential pressure across the diesel particulate filter is above the calibrated moderately severe threshold limit. The ECM will illuminates the MIL lamp immediately when the diagnostic runs and fails. The driver will be notified via the vehicle's EVIC Message Center. The ECM will also derate engine power output in an effort to protect the vehicle after treatment system. The ECM will turn off the MIL lamp immediately after the soot load has dropped below the Moderately Severe Level Threshold.

When Monitored:
The diagnostic runs continuously when the engine is running.

Set Condition:
The ECM will set this fault if it detects that the soot load in the diesel particulate filter is above the moderately severe level threshold limit.

Possible Causes
DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER PLUGGED

EXHAUST TEMPERATURES NOT HIGH ENOUGH TO ACTIVELY REGENERATE THE
AFTERTREATMENT PARTICULATE FILTER.

DAMAGE TO THE AFTERTREATMENT SYSTEM FROM AN ENGINE FAILURE

EXHAUST TEMPERATURE SENSORS FAILED IN-RANGE LOW

EXHAUST PRESSURE SENSOR FAILED IN-RANGE HIGH

The notes say that once you get the first code, that you may get the second code also.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
95f150 as ram3500 said the pump is probably not labled properly and the oil companys are not required by law to change them, not all fuel in canada sold for on highway use is ULSD, we live in the southern supply route, so we get ULSD but, the territories and northern quebec and labrador get LSD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.