DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondered if some one could help. Is there any way to tell if the P.C.M. is shot, other than a scan tool. I have a 97 DODGE 15OO. 5.2 and i tried to hook a scan tool and it never could connect link with my P.C.M. I tried to read trouble codes by turning on/off the key like the maintence manuel says but for some reason my check engine light is not working either. can these problems be related? my truck will turn over but not start! no spark! Any suggestions.

·
Registered
827 Posts
if the check engine light does not come on to bulb check(key on) start checking fuses first. make sure pcm is getting it's powers and grounds .

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sorry to say those are classic symptoms for a bad PCM-the No Communication is the clue-provided the scanner was hooked up correctly and set up for that vehicle. If you can find a used one to swap in that will answer your question. PCMs are not as expensive as they used to be, try NAPA, and look around on line. You need to know the numbers on your pcm to get an exact replacement. Good luck!

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
How is your battery?

The PCM is extremely sensitive to its power requirements and various, seemingly PCM-related, issues have been cured with a new battery. Try to jump start it or see if a friend can lend you his battery to test whether that will start your truck.

I know it seems weird that a bad or weak battery could cause these kinds of issues, I thought so too. But I got a new Diehard, plopped it in, and viola' the truck worked great again.

It's also a lot quicker and easier than trying to track down the appropriate PCM for your truck. You may end up having to do that anyway, but at least you'd have ruled out the battery as the cause of the issues.

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
Also, were you trying to hook up to the OBDII port under the dash?

If so, it may just need a good cleaning. My truck failed emissions testing 'cause the test facility couldn't get a reading thru the OBDII port - instant fail :VHOT:

I took it to my mechanic and told him the story. He checked it out and said that the port is OK, you just have to wiggle the connector around to get a reading. I took it back to emissions and told them that - took them 8 tries to get a signal (legally they only have to try twice) and I passed.

Since I was getting a SuperChips programmer and didn't want any connectivity issues, I took a pink pencil eraser, toothbrush, a can of compressed air, some isopropol alcohol, and some QTips; and cleaned the port out real well.

Start with the pencil eraser - VERY lightly on the contacts, this will take any **** off of them. Then scrub them lightly with a soft toothbrush and blow out any residue with the compressed air (the type for computers). A little alcohol on a QTip with clean them up further.

Allow plenty of time for the alcohol to evaporate and then hook up the scanner again - if you don't have some bigger issue, this should do the trick. It worked for me, my SuperChips has never failed to connect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.