DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i got a 2001 3.9 v6. I got this miss fire code. I had this happen in my 2000 van as well, and wound up replacing the fuel injectors. If this the only cure?
Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, i neglected to say, I was on very empty when this first happened, thats why i think crap got sucked up into the fuel line. Do any of those fuel/injector cleaners work? or is it ok to just replace one injector, or should the whole set be replaced? Thanks.

·
Banned
3,120 Posts
Before you replace the injector, swap it with an adjacent cylinder and see if the code moves with the injector or stays with the #4 cylinder. This will tell you if it's the injector or not.

Yes you can replace just one.

·
Gone but not forgotten
1,288 Posts
Good fuel cleaners I recommend are:
Lucas Fuel Treatment,
SeaFoam,
Berrimans B-12.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use lucas also, good stuff.
Chevrons Techron is also good, it did wonders for a truck I have. expensive $8.00 for the large bottle but it worked really good.

·
Seating for 12
1,893 Posts
My 2000 B1500 V6 3.9L once had a mis-fire code.

After all of the scratching of the head and checking out the fuel size of things, I looked at the electrical ignition.

Wow, was the answer. The good ol' cap-n-rotor were bad. Learned the hard way that using aluminum contacts in a cap-n-rotor is a no-no. They are so cheap and fail so fast.

Answer, change out that for a brass/copper contact cap-n-rotor set.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, Ive been living with that code for a while. It goes on and off.. So was waiting till warmer weather to mess with it.
So ... new issue.
parked it on a weds. let it sit till sunday, started it up with the remote for a few minutes to make sure it would start Monday. Had 8" of snow Monday and didnt want issues. So I try to start it Monday. Just wouldnt take. It turned over, So I get a new coil, nada.. Starter fluid, nope, gas in the intake, nope.
So i kep trying it. After a few hours of trying to start it, i see the coil wire arcing, stick a new one on. try again for a while, finaly starts. take it for a drive to clear out all the fuel from starting attemps.
So I drop it off the next day.
New cap, plugs, wires, pvc, oil change.
So I go to pick it up, and now it has a major stumble when starting to drive. Only happens when its cold, but oes away after that.
So I was gonna take it back for a fuel pressure reading.
Any other ideas? besides fuel pump?

Sorry for the long post.
Marc.
And thanks for the replies on the first one.

·
Gone but not forgotten
1,288 Posts
What plugs did they put in and did they use the Brass/Copper Cap and Rotor?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure what they used, but will find out tomorrow.
Was gonna try a thing of lucus fuel additive and see if that helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
like hesitation. My mechanic said it did that to him, but when warmed up it was ok. When I picked it up, I went to pull off and it felt like it was going to stall. As I gave it gas, from a dead stop, it just didnt rev up or move, after a second or so, it gained proper power. Never did that before..like no matter how much gas i gave it, its rpms stayed the same, like 1500-200 i would guess. After that initial hesitation, it seemed ok. I tried start/stop a few times and it was ok. All so, it has a rough idle now too. idk wtf it is. He wanted to keep it to do a fuel pressure test, but i need it for work, so tying it up for another day was out. I may bring it back to him Sat, for the test, but want to get any info about what to look for before hand. Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So. Started ok today. No hesitation. The codes were clear. Then the check engine light came on for like 30 seconds. Checked code, it was the 0304, again. So I belive this is now an injector, as the new Aluminum roter, wires, plugs, oil change, pvc valve, have been changed. Also vacumme leaks were checked as well. So to that end, I Added some Lucus to the gas. If it continues to have that code, then I will replace the injector on that #4, Providing I can find one cheap some where. Or have them cleaned with that fuel rail hook up one for $150 at my local.

Thanks for your help. Marc.
I will post anything else i encounter to help anyone with similar problem.

·
Seating for 12
1,893 Posts
...I believe this is now an injector, as the new Aluminum rotor, wires, plugs, oil change, pvc valve, have been changed.
If the new cap-n-rotor has aluminum for contact points, the van will run terrible in a matter of a few weeks. Only copper/brass cap-n-rotor contacts last and keep the engine running smooth.

Since this is a 2001, when was the last time the IAC was cleaned? Take a read on this link:
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114679

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Also try swapping the injector location and see if the missfire follows to the other cylinder.
It seems there was also a TSB on plug wire location... stev should recall this.

·
Seating for 12
1,893 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, little update. As of today, I still have not had any issues. No missfires, no codes. Runs fine. Power seems to have picked up a bit too, being a 6, nothing huge. But Ive been adding Lucus to the last 4 gas fills, but may just do it on a 1 treatment per 4 fillups. and see how thats works.
And I cleaned that AIC last fall when changing the air filter. That was a great bit of info, as I had that surging issue too lol.
Thanks again for chipping in.
Marc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.