DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can an overhead display (the one with the compass, MPG, Temp, etc...) be fitted into my ram that didnt orig. have one?? will the computer still be able to calculate fuel mileage?
Anyone have one they wish to part with?

Thanks

2000 ram 1500 std cab long bed 4X4 5.2L auto trans.

·
pressurevac
179 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, and how difficult would the wiring be?

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
I was going to do the same thing, then was told by Dodge that it was not possible. But anything is possible as long as you have $$$$.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was also told that the dealer said it wouldnt work, and i found out why..... "why wont it work?"... "because there is no wireing running up to the overhead console to plug the display into.."
ah, k... So, if i install the wiring, sensors, and display.... then why not... no answer given, not in the field of expertise on a dealership that doesnt do custom mods.
Heck, if you ask them if a 5.2L from a 98 dakota will bolt into a 98 ram, they will say no, differant vehicles. but why wouldnt it?.....yea....
So i dunno, my biggest question is if my computer is capable of computing fuel mileage. i dont see why not, why would they go though the huge deal of making two differant computers, just like my fuse box, i have relay slots for fog lights, just no relays or wiring or lights.

why would they make two computers, one for a display and one without?

maybe i can check my haynes manual and see if the pins comming off the computer differ as to weather one has pins for display and one without.

·
pressurevac
179 Posts
Let me know what you find out- I am real interested to know!!

·
pressurevac
179 Posts
damn are those ugly

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
same thinking here, too ugly, rather keep it as stock as possible, clean look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed the console this weekend in my 2003 1500 STX. I have to say it was a little bit of a pain. Al of the wires needed for install (except one) are under the front drivers pillar. The computer gives me temp, mileage, etc. There is just on wire that connects to the PCI bus to get you all the info. The truck already has the temp sensor. You have to find the overhead, the overhead plastic bracket, and do fives wires (four from the a pillar and 1one to the a switched ignition).

The hardest part is making sure the wiring is correct. The second hardest is actually cutting the headliner.

Not for those of you who may not be mechanically and electrically inclined.

BTW, I installed power windows one evening last week as well. This was much easier than the overhead. A1 Electric has a kit for about $270 (with the switches) and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just noticed this was the 2G forum.

I installed the factory console for the 2003 Ram. Don't know if it really applies to the 2G's.

z

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Might be worth a try to find out, at least rip my A-piller off and see if any wires are floating around back there.
Still want to do this, just cant find a used display, im not payin the dealer big bucks for something i might not be able to use.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i've had the whole interior apart between the stereo system and the headliner, i haven't seen any loose pigtails or loose wires floating around..

anybody have a factory service manual? my haynes 'aint worth.... :VHOT:

bdr

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this really may not apply to the 2G's so go easy on me.

For my 3G the wires were located under the A pillar and were not loose. Thay a in a connector that holds roughly 12 wires. If when I examined it closely I found that there were 4-5 more wires going in and than out. After that I tapped into the four that went nowhere.

zealous

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
i think its a waste of money, do you really need to know the temp and direction you are goin, plus the mpg varies as you accelerate or decelerate so its not really accurate.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its 50/50 , looks and function. I like the way the lit up display looks, without it my truck looks that much more elcheapo baseline. The MPG that fluctuates and the average MGP are two differant settings on the display so you can see your towing mpg or highway cruise mpg, or you can see what you average over the vehicles life or after a new part was added and see if the mileage came up any, even if it isnt accurate, at least it will tell you if your mileage got worse or better without me spending $90 to fill the tank, fill again, and then do math.
same reason i wanted fog lights in those stupid holes up front in the bumper, what kind of idiot at chrysler thought, hey, we will take the fog lights off as an option and save them and us some money, but eh, leave the unsightly holes.
Its like ordering a quad cab, looks nice, then get a standard cab, but they use the same bed and frame, so now you have a HUGE gap between the cab and bed, duhh, obviously something is missing. which brings me to, if you see two fog light holes, and no lights, do you A: say gee, that looks awesome!
B: say, wonder why the speed holes?
C: or say, psh, what a cheapass, couldnt even pay the extra $50 (or whatever it cost, mine didnt come with them so its not on my options sheet) to get fog lights, $30,000 for a truck, $90 just to fill it with gas, and u cant spend $50 for foglights to fill fugly holes?!
uh, C!
like see'ing a honda civic wagon running around with no front hub caps and no drag radials up front.
anywho, im ranting on. none the less, still want to do it! :)
I would actually much rather figure out a way to mount a TV LCD DVD player up there that flips down. (one that doesnt look like you have a satalight reciever from nasa strapped to your headliner).

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
pressurevac said:
damn are those ugly
:crazy: i would neve put one of them things in my truck just my 2 cents

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.