DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is threre a way to change the overhead computer from reading avg mpg to inst mpg. I know I have seen a couple mopars with this option and would like to have it as well.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Might wanna try getting an overhead form an '02 Ram. I know they all had this feature for sure, something dodge eliminated later down the road. When I had my '02 regcab I loved seeing it drop down to like 6mpg when I accelerated hard from a stop sign and such :D

KB

·
Registered
150 Posts
04 Silver Bulle

I would like to know more about this also.
My Mom had a Merc. Marque and it had instance fuel econ.
It was neat..
You could train yourself or foot to get better miliage by watching the reading..
At least I thought you could..
I made a couple of very long trips in it over 2000 miles and I think it
helped.. I got over 26 MPG .. Not bad on V8 big car trunk loaded and three people.

Keep us up to date on your findings.

Ron D

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ron D said:
I would like to know more about this also.
My Mom had a Merc. Marque and it had instance fuel econ.
It was neat..
You could train yourself or foot to get better miliage by watching the reading..
At least I thought you could..
I made a couple of very long trips in it over 2000 miles and I think it
helped.. I got over 26 MPG .. Not bad on V8 big car trunk loaded and three people.

Keep us up to date on your findings.

Ron D
I will keep ya up to date as I can. Right now i am trying to locate on on the East Bay Area. When I do I will try to install with no problems and advise...

:rck: :rck:

·
Registered
150 Posts
04 Silver Bulle said:
I will keep ya up to date as I can. Right now i am trying to locate on on the East Bay Area. When I do I will try to install with no problems and advise...

:rck: :rck:

Thanks

Ron D

·
MFIC
682 Posts
gotta be someone with some experience on this... I just tried a search but no dice.

Is an overhead console from an 02 plug an play? And if it were, would it display Instant MPG?

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Russellabjr said:
gotta be someone with some experience on this... I just tried a search but no dice.

Is an overhead console from an 02 plug an play? And if it were, would it display Instant MPG?
I talked to AIRRAM on dodgetrucks.org and he thinks that the 02 will work. However I do not know yet if it is plug and play. He said that his 02 has the overhead and that it has inst. mpg on it. So all I have to do is find a wrecked 02 and hopefully plug it in. :rck: :rck:

·
MFIC
682 Posts
PLEASE submit your findings.. oh, wait, I know a guy here in orlando with an 02 ram. I'll check with him to see if he has an overhead console and im sure he wont mind taking it apart to see if they swap out. Ill keep u posted.

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Russellabjr said:
PLEASE submit your findings.. oh, wait, I know a guy here in orlando with an 02 ram. I'll check with him to see if he has an overhead console and im sure he wont mind taking it apart to see if they swap out. Ill keep u posted.
I will submit mine if you submit yours...
So far no wrecking yards in my area have a wrecked 02. I will call the dealer tomorrow to see just how much one might run, providing I cant find a used one.

·
MFIC
682 Posts
i just sent him a PM. hopefully he has one. Ill keep you posted.

·
MFIC
682 Posts
this looks like a close fit, no? something like this has gotta work..?

Ebay item number 7987287996

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It looks good but I dont think it will work well. With the homelink, miles to service and all the extra stuff, I will keep on looking. Nice price though, now I have a idea how much to pay...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Silver Bulle

If you do get the Instance fuel MPG reading going will you still have the
Average MPG that you now have.

My Moms car the Merc. Marque had both.. Instant and Average MPG to switch
back and forth from..

I wonder why it was dropped form the display option.
I would think it would only be a software thing in the computer..
What do you think?

Ron D

·
MFIC
682 Posts
i for one dont car about average.. it never seems to be exactly right. I am more concerned about instant so you can see how your MPG is at any given time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Russellabjr said:
i for one dont car about average.. it never seems to be exactly right. I am more concerned about instant so you can see how your MPG is at any given time.
Russ

I to found myself leaving the display in instant MPG all the time.
I'll average it at fill up..

Thanks for reminding me that the other function (Avrg. MPG)
was something I didn't really watch.

Ron D

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
If you cannot get instantaneous MPG readings,
remember that you can 'faster than average' MPG readings by watching the numbers of gallons used and doing some easy math in your head.

For example, if you have been cruising along at 79 mph and want to know how much you would save if you slowed down to 60 mph - do this:

press your ovehead button until it reads gallons.
wait for it to click over to the next number
so if it is reading 13.1 gallons wait for it to change to 13.2
when it changes to 13.2 reach down quickly and reset the trip odometer on the dashboard to 0

Now, wait for the overhead trip computer gallons to change.

When the overhead changes to 13.3 look down at the trip odometer. If it is now reading 2.1 miles you have gone that far on 0.1 gallons of gasoline and the math is easy - just mulitiply by 10 to get 21 mpg.

If you wait until the gallons change by half a gallon, the math is again easy. If the odo now reads 10.5 miles then multiply by 2 to get 21 MPG.

The easiest math of all is to wait until the overhead changes by one gallon - then your trip odometer reads your MPG directly.

My experience with 'instantaneous' MPG readings from trip computers is that they jump around so quickly you do not get a useful result. The above method of waiting for either 0.1 gallons, 0.5 gallons or 1 gallon is actually more accurate and useful.

Of course, you can get an even more dependable MPG by waiting until 10 gallons have been used and dividing the trip odometer miles by 10.

Check your speedo and odometer by highway mileposts or GPS to see if they are accurate and get your dealership to recal them if not.

If your overhead trip computer still does not read within 1 mpg of what you calculate by hand over several tankfulls ( one alone is never accurate) then you should suspect that one or more of your fuel injectors is clogged or your fuel pump pressure is out of spec.

·
MFIC
682 Posts
do all of that and try pay attention to the road at the same time? LOL.

I'll live w/o the instantaneous MPG readout, thanks.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Mine only has: Average MPG, DTE, Compass/temp, 2nd odometer, Time function.

Mabey we just discovered something here, we do not all have the same funcitions on our overhead....wierd!

·
MFIC
682 Posts
hemi_power87 said:
Mine only has: Average MPG, DTE, Compass/temp, 2nd odometer, Time function.

Mabey we just discovered something here, we do not all have the same funcitions on our overhead....wierd!
So does mine. I think all 03 and up are the same, or should be.

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From what I got from AIRRAM, all 03's and up dont have the instant mpg anymore. For some goofy reason DC doesn't want us to see the MPG that these trucks get in real time. :rck: :rck: :rck:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.