DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new to this. I need to ask a question, I have a 2004 Dodge Ram with a 4.7 To make a long story short. The last time I had my Oil changed at the dealer they over serviced the engine 2 Qts. of oil. Blew the rear main seal. The Dealer is fixing it Free of charge to me. What I want to know is there any other problems that could arise?

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
Welcome to DT and first off .. I would never take it to that dealership for service again unless they fired the guy that did the work to your truck .. I bet the guy that was doing the oil change thought it was a hemi (but how could he NOT know) :crazy: since we take 7 quarts.
I would say the only other thing might be fouled plugs and blowing smoke .. maybe someone with a little more experiance at over filled oil crank case might chime in .. as long as they are fixing it and document it your factory warranty should still cover everything else under the 7/70 since you have an 04

·
Registered
106 Posts
what a dumbass. He must be the boss's son ,LOL

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have an 02 with the 4.7L and mine takes 7 quarts. Holy crap, 9 quarts of oil, he might of thought it was a CTD. What a bone head. Just goes to show you that alot of the dealers will hire anyone. I ran into the same issues with a dealership time and time again. Come to find out they had 20 mechanics working under one ASE certifed tech.

Find a new dealer!!! I found one where they are all certifed and know what they are doing. They take pride in what they do!

·
Registered
11 Posts
You could potentially have piston ring damage as well. Too much oil would cause excessive pressure inside the crankcase, and fracture a ring. I would make certain that they fully warranty any future engine failures.
Good luck.

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
It will only take 7 quarts if you have an extended oil filter that holds more. There isn't a 4.7 that holds 7 stock.

Andrew

·
Registered
161 Posts
even if he thought it was a CTD then he was still a gallon shy. possibly rings like mentioned before, but if it wasnt blowing smoke then probably no damage has occurred. how far did you get before the main seal blew? So many stories like this is the reason i mark my oil filter and check the oil level in the parking lot of the dealer. I have heard of dealers not changing the filter, stripping drain bolts, cross threading filter, and overfilling crankcases. I would say make sure it gets doccumented and you can hold any internal motor malfunction on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.